IEM's: Do they require burn-in??
Feb 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 21
Burnin is still a subjective thing here at Head-Fi...some think so, others don't. I personally think IEM's need a little bit of burnin but not that much - maybe a couple hours or so.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 21
I believe all electronic equipment needs to burn in
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have first hand experience. Mabey this is because I heard different but I think it sounded alot better after 1 hour of use, after that it sounds the same.

That's probably ear burn-in more than anything. It happenned whenever I switched between my E500 and K701
wink.gif
Burn-in is almost entirely subjective. Some have seen the light, some convince themselves they've seen the light
evil_smiley.gif
and others can't see the light. That said, I think Sugarfried [size=xx-small](one of the Shure reps registered on this forum and also the IEM product line manager)[/size] once said that they could see no difference in the FR graphs between a fairly used and a brand new pair of E500 so you go figure
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burnin is still a subjective thing here at Head-Fi...some think so, others don't. I personally think IEM's need a little bit of burnin but not that much - maybe a couple hours or so.

i also think balanced armatures do not need burning in
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
rolleyes.gif
IMO it's more mental than physical.

Is mental burn-in not burn-in?
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 21
I'll play some pink noise through my brand new IEMs and see what happens. I do hope I get some mental burn-in
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 21
from wikipedia: "Burn in is that process by which components of a system are exercised prior to being placed in service (and often, prior to the system being completely assembled from those components)."
it's not a mental thing. and for the record my opinion is that iem armatures need no burn in. but i do believe in break in for dynamic drivers.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll play some pink noise through my brand new IEMs and see what happens. I do hope I get some mental burn-in
wink.gif

Keep telling yourself that the IEM's will sound better. Just keep telling yourself that. I bet they'll sound better.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back