IEMs: comfort, good isolation (airplane use), unamped (w/iphone), decent bass - $100ish
Aug 22, 2009 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jkozlow3

Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all. I know that there are a lot of similar threads out there (I've searched and read a lot of them), but these are my specific needs.

I don't wear IEMs often, so when I do they tend to be uncomfortable. I'm not sure if this is something that goes away as your ears get used to them or not, but I never really give them the opportunity. Mainly, I listen to them when flying. As a result I need something with good isolation and hopefully good comfort despite not using them too frequently. I also need something that sounds good unamped and is not bass-anemic (but doesn't need to have LOADS of bass).

I've only ever used the JVC FX66 but these really hurt my ears when I use them while traveling. I also demoed the Westone UM2 a year ago with both the comply foam tips and shure olives and while comfortable, the foam kept getting compressed in my ears to where the sound would be blocked. Opening my mouth to drink from a bottle of water would screw up the fit with these things! It seemed like they were a royal PITA to get them "just right" and I gave up after several hours. I don't have this problem with the cheap JVC FX66 that I'm using (with stock silicone tips) but they are not comfortable and don't seem to isolate particularly well. Maybe I have odd ears?

Some IEMs on my short list after reading a bunch of threads:

Ety ER-4P
Apple ADDIEM
Klipsch S4
Nuforce NE-7M
Westone 1 (releases in September and comes with many more tips than my previous experience with the UM2)
Monster Turbine
Others??

Keeping my needs from the thread title and past experiences in mind - thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 11
The Etymotics will certainly deliver on the isolation but perhaps not the bass that you want. They are also well above your $100 limit unless you buy a well-used pair. Out of the others I've only tried the ADDIEMs and Nuforces, and while the ADDIEMs were great for the $30 price tag, the prices have since gone up and I cannot recommend them for the $50+ they cost now. I have to say I'd pick the Nuforces for your uses, especially with comply tips (yes, they actually work with the Nuforces).

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks. Any other suggestions?

I'm really hoping that the Westone 1 will be a great solution for unamped portable players & isolation - especially with all the tips it comes with. Anyone used these yet? If you can't comment publicly, I would appreciate a PM. I know Westone mentioned that a few members of this forum have them already.

Thanks again!

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 11
You may want to add JVC FX300 in your list, it's isolate well and bass is decent with crisp highs and detailed mids. Klipsch S4 has outstanding soundquality(for it's pricepoint) and it's may isolate less but still blockout much noise(different tips may works well).

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 11
I like the ADDIEMs. You can still find them for b/t 30 and 50 but you have to look pretty hard. Although I'm not sure that if you're not interested in the controls and the mic that they'd be the best buy for you.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 11
You can get the Westone 1 and post a review of them here
biggrin.gif
Isolation wise, I think they should provide the same level of isolation as the Westone 3 given the similar driver housing. No idea about the sound though. Care to take one for the team?

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 11
I'd consider the ADDIEMs and a phone I just got, the Cresyn C750Es, which are between $80-$100, and an excellent value. For example, I also have the S4, and I found the Cresyn's a better phone in handling mids/treble. Not say the S4 is bad, but I have had problems with sibilance so far. Not with the Cresyns. They were suggested by a friend on HF, and he was right on the money about them. Anyway, they are on sale at Newegg for $79 and there is a short review thread on them (two reviews, mine and one by average_Joe). He is the person who suggested I give them a try.

Oh, and the Westone 1s do look interesting, as I liked the Westone 3s but sold them for the UM3X, which I prefer of the two. Probably with the longer nozzle, the W1 won't have the same fit issues the W3 had for some owners.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 11
Shure SE115. comfortable with foam tips, and great isolation with foam tips. good emphasis on bass. but if you listen to anything like rock you'll get a lot of painful, harsh sibilance.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and the Westone 1s do look interesting, as I liked the Westone 3s but sold them for the UM3X, which I prefer of the two. Probably with the longer nozzle, the W1 won't have the same fit issues the W3 had for some owners.

That's what I was thinking/hoping.

Call me crazy, but after reading a lot of the UM3X thread today, I'm almost wondering if I should just suck it up and get those from the start. Yes, way beyond my original budget, but constant upgrading can get expensive too.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 11
The ER-4P is out of your budget new, but I will throw in a recommendation for the Etymotic HF5 based on the fact that it possesses the ER-4 DNA. If you have the iPhone 3GS, the bass will be no problem. Isolation is something to behold when using the tri-flanges.

The ER-4P is stunning out of the 3GS, it is truly top-of-the-line level for a universal, competing with the best of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back