IEMs/Cans
Sep 24, 2007 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

parradux

New Head-Fier
I know these threads have been done countless times before, but I need a recommendation.

My criteria is very simple: I just need around 100-150 USD that provides decent quality sound and allow for me to use them in the gym.

I really have no preference whether they be cans or IEM's. So can someone recommend something?

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by parradux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know these threads have been done countless times before, but I need a recommendation.

My criteria is very simple: I just need around 100-150 USD that provides decent quality sound and allow for me to use them in the gym.

I really have no preference whether they be cans or IEM's. So can someone recommend something?

At that price, I'd say two good choices are the Denon C700s (canal phone, which are the most comfortable of the in-ear phones and block out most sound) or the Futuresonic Atrio M5s, which are in-ear monitors (IEMs) that deliver really smooth bass and an overall nice, balanced sound (others have different opinions). I have the latter, and a pair of the former on order based on another thread that started out comparing the Denons with the Shure SE310s. Anyway, either of those two phones delivers a good value to sound ratio. Both are about $130-$140. I got the Atrios on ebay from a reputable reseller (roaddogonline), after "making an offer" for $130 plus $9.99 shipped. I got the Denons on Amazon.com for $132, no shipping charge.

Just two good options. I am sure there are others. But in this price range, I believe they are the best two options for gym use.

If you want ear buds, I suggest the Yuin PK2s for the gym (www.head-direct.com), which are $69 but sound much better than their price. And they do not need an amp, which is also the case of the Denons and the Atrios. It's the last thing you want to lug around the gym.

Hope this helps.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 7
In the gym, you'd probably want at least some isolation, right?

There are canal phones that isolate a little bit -- I know people who use Creative EP630s (value-priced "closed" canal phones) in noisy gyms -- and there are "open" canal phones, which might not suit your gym needs (Bose in-ears, V-Moda Vibes).

Semi-isolating canal phones would include Sennheisers, possibly JBLs, and at the higher end of your range, the new Denons.

Isolating earphones would include Etymotics ER6i's, super.fi 3's, Westone UM1's, Shure E2's and a favorite for me, the Future Sonics Atrio M5s.

It would be interesting to read what people think of the M5s as workout 'phones ... I've gone for walks with them, but that's about it -- but they sound so good, you might find yourself working out more frequently.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the responses so far, they have been great. I forgot to say that I need to have isolation. I want to be able to use these headphones for study purposes as well, and I would really like to drown out all of the noise around me when I am concentrating.

So based on that I should look into the : ER6i's, M5s, UM1, super.fi pro 3, any others?

I found super.fi pro 5's for 149.99, is this a steal?

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Thanks for the responses so far, they have been great. I forgot to say that I need to have isolation. I want to be able to use these headphones for study purposes as well, and I would really like to drown out all of the noise around me when I am concentrating.

So based on that I should look into the : ER6i's, M5s, UM1, super.fi pro 3, any others?

Don't eliminate the Denons for isolation, since some on the Denon vs. SE310 thread say they provide solid isolation. Maybe not IEM level, but pretty good when the music is playing. Can't comment on UEs, since I have never heard them.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm not eliminating anything.

Can someone just give me a good list of IEM's or other headphones with good isolation in between 100-150 USD that are able to play anything from metal to classical to trance decently?

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Hmm, I would recommend Shure's E2C or E3C. Both are within your price range. These are nice sturdy sound isolating earphones. Also, you cannot beat a two year warranty. I am not a big fan of Ultimate Ears Super.fi earphones. I have sampled several of their models and was not impressed at all; although, like Shure, they do have a 2 year warranty. The UM1 is a great earphone; however, Westone only offers a 1 year warranty. Weigh your options. Hope this helps.

Also, you mentioned being able to listen to "anything from metal to classical to trance decently." E series Shures offer great listening for all kinds of music. When I was sampling UM2s, e4cs, super.fi pros, and er4ps, the e4cs provided the "best all-around sound." The UM2s had better base; however, when comparing them all, the Shures had the best mix of everything. I would go with Etymotic next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back