IEMs between $100 and $200?
Feb 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rhcpepper

New Head-Fier
So I am looking into getting some IEMs and my budget is between $100 and $200.

I listen lots of rock and metal, very very few hip-hop artists once in a while, random electronic stuff every once in a while. Rock/metal is the main thing, so bass isn't really important.

I do like to know my bass is there though, if they can handle a slight bass boost with EQ that will be fine, I only do that sometimes anyways when I am in a "bassy" mood haha. I guess what I mainly want is for them to not be any less... um... clear sounding? than my Ultrasone DJ1s, I don't want to downgrade in quality. I know that sound is subjective but you know what I mean when I say I want them to be as clear sounding? The clarity I think is not as subjective as an aspect, but I am not good with audiophile terms so what do I know 
rolleyes.gif

Oh and they should have comfortable tips, if they have multiple tips to change between that will be good.

I kinda want a mic, but more so I want them to sound nice for the price. So if you know one that fits the sound I need AND has a mic within my price range then that would be really awesome, not important at all though, just saying if there IS some...

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 6
I am no expert, but have had quite a few sets of universal in ear monitors. For the money, I don't think there is much out there better than Etymotics Hf3s. That version will give you a mic, and you can find for less than 150 on amazon.

It is a neutral sound, but can handle a bass boost. I wrote a review recently on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3R740YAN2IDEI/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

Happy hunting.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 6
The Etymotic ER4P/S, GR01, GR07, Sony EX7550 and CK10 are great buy under this budget and they all offers amazingly crisp clear overall soundqualty, GR07 offers more bass than rest but all improve with EQ in bass region and AMPs help.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I am no expert, but have had quite a few sets of universal in ear monitors. For the money, I don't think there is much out there better than Etymotics Hf3s. That version will give you a mic, and you can find for less than 150 on amazon.

It is a neutral sound, but can handle a bass boost. I wrote a review recently on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3R740YAN2IDEI/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

Happy hunting.

Ymmv, but I'd say that the Etys are about the worst choice possible for rock, metal, and hip-hop! The bass transients have no punch - you can EQ them up, but they'll always lack definition and be unsatisfying. And, yes, I have a pair (HF5's technically - same thing without the mike.)

Microdriver IEMs are a good bet for this type of music because they handle bass transients well. If I was buying today then I'd probably get the ATH CNK50 or CNK70 as they're the latest well-reported IEMs of this type - check reviews here. But for rock and hip-hop, $20 Philips SHE3590's honestly sound a lot better than HF5/3s. (Although the Philips are considered astonishing IEMs for the price anyway.) The Etys are good for jazz, classical, and folk though, and maybe even that gutless 70's AOR type of rock that strange people listen to, where the lead guitarist would soil himself if the drummer hit too hard. They're great for vocals too.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Ymmv, but I'd say that the Etys are about the worst choice possible for rock, metal, and hip-hop! The bass transients have no punch - you can EQ them up, but they'll always lack definition and be unsatisfying. And, yes, I have a pair (HF5's technically - same thing without the mike.)

Microdriver IEMs are a good bet for this type of music because they handle bass transients well. If I was buying today then I'd probably get the ATH CNK50 or CNK70 as they're the latest well-reported IEMs of this type - check reviews here. But for rock and hip-hop, $20 Philips SHE3590's honestly sound a lot better than HF5/3s. (Although the Philips are considered astonishing IEMs for the price anyway.) The Etys are good for jazz, classical, and folk though, and maybe even that gutless 70's AOR type of rock that strange people listen to, where the lead guitarist would soil himself if the drummer hit too hard. They're great for vocals too.

Aw damn the HF3s looked PERFECT. I love the look of them too, nice and sleek with a mic AND a straght plug (not a fan of the L shapes, they don't work well with iPods or phones in pockets)
But, if he said they have a neutral sound wouldn't that be perfect for rock and metal cause there isn't much bass anyways? He said they handle bass too, I mean you sound like you have experience with them but I am just wondering, what exactly are "bass transients" that they don't handle well as you say? I do not know what that term means, sorry 
tongue.gif

I dig those ATH CK70s though (haha SQ comes first I know, but if its hard to get into the thought of buying something super ugly unless you hear raving reviews from people who know their **** ya know?) Anyways, they look sick to me so I would totally be into buying them 
cool.gif

Its these ones right? http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-CK70PRO-Balanced-Armature-Headphone/dp/B00415ZFTG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361327907&sr=1-1&keywords=ATH+CK70
I couldn't find a match with the exact model you gave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back