IEMs and wax build-up in ear canal
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bintol

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I’ve been using Shure IEM 535s and 846s for some time now (5 years or so) and loving them, particularly the 846s. A doctor recently looked into my ear canal and noticed quite a build-up of wax, which she proceeded to remove with some sort of long ear canal insertion device. I don’t want to disgust you all, but there was considerable build up in there! I can tell you that there is a noticeable improvement in my hearing after that wax removal, particularly with high frequencies.

Wax build up has never been a problem for me previously, so I’m wondering if this might be a result of regular, prolonged IEM use.

Has anybody else noticed this as an issue?

Cheers,

Barnaby

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi all,

I’ve been using Shure IEM 535s and 846s for some time now (5 years or so) and loving them, particularly the 846s. A doctor recently looked into my ear canal and noticed quite a build-up of wax, which she proceeded to remove with some sort of long ear canal insertion device. I don’t want to disgust you all, but there was considerable build up in there! I can tell you that there is a noticeable improvement in my hearing after that wax removal, particularly with high frequencies.

Wax build up has never been a problem for me previously, so I’m wondering if this might be a result of regular, prolonged IEM use.

Has anybody else noticed this as an issue?

Cheers,

Barnaby

Yep, had numerous issues with ear wax which is a real pain. Have to get mine done every six months or so, or after a heavy cold (which I'm currently in the middle of, joy :frowning2: ). Maybe talk to the doctor about some sort of cleaning schedule for your ears? I try to keep mine clean by using something called Earol at least once a week and give my ears a break from iems at the weekends. Did wonder whether the over use of iems was the cause, but need to use them at work to block noise out. As I use glasses I can't wear headphones sadly.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Once every 6 months – that’s quite a frequent ear canal clean! I might get into a bit of a schedule of it myself, judging by how much build up was removed and the impact on my hearing. Might also reduce IEM use and use headphones more frequently instead. Earplugs to muffle sound apparently also contribute to this problem…

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 4
It's mainly because my right ear has this weird kink in it. What tends to happen is that the olive oil dissolves the wax itself but then blocks it up because it can't come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back