IEMs and tinnitus
Jun 6, 2007 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

h-man

100+ Head-Fier
I can't believe it, I have been using my e4c exclusively for a week (amped) even at home, just for a change from my SR-225 and HD650. Now, I have never had BAD tinnitus, just a quiet beeping noise in my right ear when it is absolutely otherwise silent at night. I do not listen at very high volumes either or for more than 2hr at a stretch.

The amazing thing is, after a week's worth of the e4c, my tinnitus appears to have completely gone. The only explanation I can think of is that because they provide such good isolation, I have been listening at extremely low volumes. To me, the SR71--->e4c is a great combo at these volume levels. It also scares me to think how much louder I must have been listening to my full size cans - now I am in a dilemma as to whether to listen to them at all!

You might see a pair of SR25s and a pair of HD650s on the FS forum soon.
etysmile.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonedaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good news.

Did you find yourself turning up the volume (with full size cans) to cover background noise at home, though?

yes, you're probably right - to cover up the noise of my noisy pc fan, i suspect

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 16
hmmmm..... I've been having that ringing noise in both my ears when its extremely quiet as well.... I hope my Shure E500's cures me too *crosses fingers* that'll be the best thing ever!! I can then recommend the E500s as both good IEMs and a cure for ringing ears.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 16
Yes, good luck with that, just keep that volume knob down nice and low and hopefully things might improve.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 16
permanent tinnitus is irreparable - there's nothing anyone can do to fix it. I've got a bit of it myself, but thats from clubs and concerts without earplugs rather than listening to IEMs.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 16
That's awesome news!!

I find my iems difficult to listen to at times. Becuase of the excellent isolation they provide, my tinnitus is far more noticeable during silent passages in the music. That is ultimately what made me go to an open headphone. The background noise helps to mask the ringing.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
permanent tinnitus is irreparable - there's nothing anyone can do to fix it. I've got a bit of it myself, but thats from clubs and concerts without earplugs rather than listening to IEMs.

Sorry about your hearing, truly. To avoid this for others, please get some ER-20s from Etymotic to attenuate that volume. I haven't had a ringing head after a concert in months, and I suspect that my hearing is somewhat prolonged due to them.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 16
Not all tinnitus is caused by ear damage. Blood pressure, or jaws pressing agains your blood veins can cause it too.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about your hearing, truly. To avoid this for others, please get some ER-20s from Etymotic to attenuate that volume. I haven't had a ringing head after a concert in months, and I suspect that my hearing is somewhat prolonged due to them.

Thanks - yeah it sucks. It isn't THAT bad - I go out quite a bit, and my hearing is wonderful compared to other people I know. I've since invested in some moulded musicians plugs that supply a uniform -25dB reduction across the range, and they're the best thing I've ever bought.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Maybe get a dedicated CD player. It will sound better and there's no fan noise.

Jun 6, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's awesome news!!

I find my iems difficult to listen to at times. Becuase of the excellent isolation they provide, my tinnitus is far more noticeable during silent passages in the music. That is ultimately what made me go to an open headphone. The background noise helps to mask the ringing.

same here.... i notice the ringing more when the volume is turned down low. I remember going to a doctor about it and he told me that it was normal which I took it as meaning that there was no way to fix it and that i should get used to it... made me a sad panda
frown.gif
I blame it on cheap stock sony earbuds that required me to turn the volume up high to compensate for lack of sound isolation. I should have listened to my mom all those years back haha
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 16
as always, this is a forum and most people here are anonymous, you should always visit your real doctor for medical advice, no one here has or can prove he has a medical degree, take all medical advice from the forums with a grain of salt.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 16
indeed. But I think I'll just make myself believe its true, maybe its just all psychological. Mind over matter. "There is no ringing in my ears... there is no ringing in my ears"
rs1smile.gif
and to go even further.... "I do have enough money to buy a pair of $400 headphones.... I do have enough money to buy a pair of $400 headphones"

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by h-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might see a pair of SR25s and a pair of HD650s on the FS forum soon.
etysmile.gif

I have to give a plug for the Bose QC2 when it comes to anti-tinnitus. The bass is a little sloppy compared to the 650 but they have no ringing after-effect and the overall sound signature is very similar to the 650. Actually, I think the HD-580 is much more "tinnitus-friendly" than the HD-650.

But yeah, the Grados have got to go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back