IEMs and sport/running
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Seirrah

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Posts
53
Likes
0
Hmm, I'm not really too happy with my Koss KSC 75 for sport(gym) use as there is a lot of movement and then are not a tight fit.

I'm currently looking for some IEMs for my Zen Vision M, but I was thinking maybe I could get a much cheaper pair for gym use.

My main concern is whether they would stay in my ears. I have always had issues with earphones, they can fall out of my ears when just walking, and I've not got freak ears by the way! So can IEMs have a secure fit that would hold even when bouncing around on a running machine? I was thinking of something like Sennheiser CX300 (or equivalent).

Thanks in advance for any responses.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 15

nadavnaz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Posts
432
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seirrah
Hmm, I'm not really too happy with my Koss KSC 75 for sport(gym) use as there is a lot of movement and then are not a tight fit.

I'm currently looking for some IEMs for my Zen Vision M, but I was thinking maybe I could get a much cheaper pair for gym use.

My main concern is whether they would stay in my ears. I have always had issues with earphones, they can fall out of my ears when just walking, and I've not got freak ears by the way! So can IEMs have a secure fit that would hold even when bouncing around on a running machine? I was thinking of something like Sennheiser CX300 (or equivalent).

Thanks in advance for any responses.



The senns are good. But for a much cheaper price you can get the Creative EP 630 or philips ed33 (theyre bassicly the same)

Where do you live? So we will know about avalibility
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 15

Seirrah

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Posts
53
Likes
0
I'm in the UK.

I'm mainly concerned about how secure they fit, as I have an issue with normal earphones (as said in my first post).

Isolation is beneficial too, as the gym can be noisy.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 15

nadavnaz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Posts
432
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seirrah
I'm in the UK.

I'm mainly concerned about how secure they fit, as I have an issue with normal earphones (as said in my first post).

Isolation is beneficial too, as the gym can be noisy.



Oh if you live in the uk I think the creative Ep 630 would be a wise choise. They are really un-pricey and have really good sound. Basicly all the IEM's which dont cost hundreds of bucks have a really similar shape. For example the cx300 and ep630 have almost the exact same shape exept the cable shape.

I reccomend the ep 630 from amazon.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 15

Seirrah

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Posts
53
Likes
0
And the shape that they have is a tight fit?

The Senns come with a choice of 'adapters' to ensure a tight fit, not sure the Creatives come with this.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 15

Seirrah

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Posts
53
Likes
0
Ah great
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 15

LaBreaHead

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Posts
1,847
Likes
11
For me, the more snug the fit, the better canal phones stay in. The silicone sleeves are so soft that they will "mash up" a little within your ear and help you get a secure fit. If you use a tip that's too small, it probably won't fit as securely.

Even if canal phones sounded like crap, their comfort and stability within the ear improve upon bundled earbuds that won't stay put. And many canal phones sound pretty good. I've enjoyed the Sony's and now have the Creatives on order.

Oh, and be careful with your Zen Vision:M when exercising.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 15

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Posts
3,087
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seirrah
Hmm, I'm not really too happy with my Koss KSC 75 for sport(gym) use as there is a lot of movement and then are not a tight fit.

I'm currently looking for some IEMs for my Zen Vision M, but I was thinking maybe I could get a much cheaper pair for gym use.

My main concern is whether they would stay in my ears. I have always had issues with earphones, they can fall out of my ears when just walking, and I've not got freak ears by the way! So can IEMs have a secure fit that would hold even when bouncing around on a running machine? I was thinking of something like Sennheiser CX300 (or equivalent).

Thanks in advance for any responses.



Sorry to spoil th IEMS plans here...but IEMS are TERRIBLE for running!
You sweat in your ear canal, you hear your feet pounding on the ground-not a good situation. They work fine for regular gym activities but not for running.
You kinda have to bite the bullet for running; get a cheap pair of cans that wraparound your neck.
Actually, I hear the KOSS I quite good, you can find them here (there is a section specifically for running/working out) : www.headphone.com
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 15

Bones13

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Posts
1,579
Likes
43
Have worn several IEM over the past years. I was using the sony fontopia's in white which worked pretty well. Then I pony'd up for the Ety 6i (was $99) and find them perfect for exercising, although I don't do much running except for a bit on the treadmill (ran them out back in my triathlon/marathon days).

The 6i is very lightweight, and has a pretty good tip that fits my ears well. The sound is great (especially if you clean the tips out once and awhile), although not quite up to the Ety 4 (had some, and they were stolen) Replaced them with the Shure E4c. The multi flange tips do the best at sound isolation, but would be too uncomforable to me for exercizing.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 15

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2002
Posts
2,885
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Sorry to spoil th IEMS plans here...but IEMS are TERRIBLE for running!
You sweat in your ear canal, you hear your feet pounding on the ground-not a good situation. They work fine for regular gym activities but not for running.
You kinda have to bite the bullet for running; get a cheap pair of cans that wraparound your neck.
Actually, I hear the KOSS I quite good, you can find them here (there is a section specifically for running/working out) : www.headphone.com



Seconded. Put your fingers in your ears and run a small distance. Do you think you would like this while working out?
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 15

GSTom1

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Posts
815
Likes
0
I would also recommend the Creative EP-630s.

Though I wouldn’t normally recommend the Sony MDR series, however if you want to ensure that they don’t fall out while you are running, I think the MDR-EX81s with the ear clips might suite your needs. Plus they come in both black and white.

ex811.jpg


biggrin.gif
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 15

Oga

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Posts
219
Likes
0
If you are running anywhere remotely near car traffic - better be wise and don't use IEM - you are risking your life. Enough said.

In any case a decent IEM like the ER-6 will be far to well sealed and create a "thump" from your football that will be far too annoying. I tried it once who doign trail running and it was not usable.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 15

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Posts
21,807
Likes
1,002
Location
The Court of the Crimson King
I agree, no outdoor running with IEMs. Tried it, it's awful. I run with Senn HD437's. I know I look silly, but they work great and sound great, and are $29!
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 15

Seirrah

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Posts
53
Likes
0
I actually bought some Sony EX71 simply as there had them in my local shop at a similar price to the other recommend IEMs.

The fit nicely and offer a lot more (but by no means complete) isolation than my Koss ear-muff type things. They were fine running, you could here a bump on each footstep, but it was hardly a problem.
(I used them on a running machine, I'd not recommend these for any normal running where cars are a concern).

By the way I'm not using my Zen Vision M down the gym, I have a small flash player for that
smily_headphones1.gif
After using the EX71s I can now have a frame of reference for selecting better IEMs for my Zen Vision M. EX71s are fine for the gym, but I'd want much better than that for non-sweaty use
orphsmile.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top