IEMs and Headphones with Detatachable Cables: please recommend between $50-$200
Jul 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

halehaler

100+ Head-Fier
Having realized that after breaking 5 headphones and IEMs I've realized that 4 of these have been me either snapping the cable, or breaking the jack on the end of the cable.

Conclusion: I need a decent pair of headphones and IEMs with detatchable cables so I can easily buy new cables.

> I listen to mainly hip-hop, but it uses classical+soul samples, so I guess I want heavy bass, but it needs to remain tight to leave room for higher timbre female vocals, a lot of violins, pianos ect.
> Budget: $50-$200, I'll probably settle around $120 but I like to stay flexible at first.

I hadn't heard about detachable cables until yesterday, so it would be nice if somebody could steer me in the right direction with some recommendations. I live in the UK by the way. 

Ones I saw: ATH M50X ($200), AKG K271 MKII ($50), some Sure IEMs (not sure about this brand), Sony MDR-7506 (like these) and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

Any comments on the cans I listed+ other recommendations, particularly IEMs which seem to be lacking. I listen to 95% hip-hop. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 12
  ATH IM50 or IM70 for IEM

They're not on sale in the UK, but I can get some eBay imports. 

Are these the right things, and how much are they meant to cost proportionately? 

The IM50s are $82 vs $130 for the IM70s (assuming a lower offer is accepted)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/audio-technica-Symphonic-dual-driver-in-ear-monitor-headphones-ATH-IM50-Japan-/181473551006?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2a40aaa29e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-IM70-Dual-Symphonic-Driver-In-Ear-Headphones-Headset-Red-Ver-/321466795859?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item4ad8ea0753

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 12
Are there any pros and cons of detachable vs Bluetooth?

Most bluetooth uses a compressed audio format for transmitting the music which will result in reduced audio quality of CD quality audio. So you pay more for the bluetooth headphone because the technology contributes to the cost, and then you get worse audio. Not a good deal, IMO. :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 12
OK, that makes sense thanks.

I presume the main benefit of a detachable cable is that, when broken, a new one can be purchased without requiring the full replacement of the earphones, thus also decreasing the chance of the headphone breaking as if there's pressure/tugging on the wire, it will detatch itself rather than break the earphone?
Or are there any other obvious benefits I'm missing out on?

Also, where can I purchase these replacement cables, or do I have to email the manufacturer directly, as I can't seem to find replacement cables online.

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, yes and no. Some headphones connections that have detachable cables aren't going to pull off. Might end up breaking the connection at the headphone. LOL

Some cables you have to get from the manufacturer. Some use standard connections. Just gotta research and figure it out.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 12
Ah OK. I thought you had to buy specific cables for every manufacturer. So in most cases a basic $10 male to male 3.5mm auidio jack will work. Is there a noticeable difference between a $15 and $40 cable?

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 12
This for example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-S-Flex-Mini-3-5mm-Cable/dp/B00B3VNLTC/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406572724&sr=1-8&keywords=replacement+headphone+cable

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 12
No. I didn't say in most cases.

Lots of debate how much differences cables make, if any at all. If buying headphones in the $50 to $200 range, expensive cables are the last thing you should worry about.

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Doesn't hurt to pay a bit more for higher quality cables that will last longer though. Reading the reviews will give you a general idea of how long they might last.

I have a $200 cable and I didn't think it was worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back