IEMs and citylife. Are there many dangers from sonic isolation?
Mar 9, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ZzBOG

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody..

I'm thinking of getting "Etymotic ER4S" and I live in a city with 15 000 000+. Heavy traffic, crowded streets, noisy underground. All these things can piss off sometimes. Good way to stay calm - ignore the noise. So there's a question to those of you, who dwell in big cities, wearing canalphones:
"How dangerous is that"? Can you actually listen the cars' horns (and car drivers are pretty reckless here)?

I have CX300 and feel quite secure, wearing them (not so satisfied with the sound, though).

So what about canalphones?

Maybe there's an alternative to IEMs? Something like an expensive (up to $250) earbuds? With CX300-level isolation and much more higher quality sound?

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZzBOG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everybody..

I'm thinking of getting "Etymotic ER4S" and I live in a city with 15 000 000+. Heavy traffic, crowded streets, noisy underground. All these things can piss off sometimes. Good way to stay calm - ignore the noise. So there's a question to those of you, who dwell in big cities, wearing canalphones:
"How dangerous is that"? Can you actually listen the cars' horns (and car drivers are pretty reckless here)?

I have CX300 and feel quite secure, wearing them (not so satisfied with the sound, though).

So what about canalphones?

Maybe there's an alternative to IEMs? Something like an expensive (up to $250) earbuds? With CX300-level isolation and much more higher quality sound?

I dont know about isolation, but the Yuin pk1 and pk2 have really good sound and they are earbuds. I think maybe getting some v-moda vibes would make for "semi-isolation". Not too much sound leaking in, but enough for....LOOK OUT FOR THAT TRUCK!!!!

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Hello everybody..

As a pleasant surprise, I found wearing IEMs(Shure e3c) IMPROVED my awareness of the surrounding, at least in case of downtown Chicago, with the infamous L train rumbling overhead. I believe it can be attributed to the wide sensitivity level that human ears posses. While exposed to high level of background noise, the ears reduce sensitivity as a form of self protection. While IEMs reduce the absolute volume of external noise, the ears respond by raises sensitivity. The effect is the "contrast" between foreground and background noise become clearer, thus improve awareness. This obviously assume that your music is not overpowering. I found light classical and pop works the best for safe walking.

Also, at least in my case, I can adjust the level of isolation by controlling how deep to insert the plug.
YMMV, as usual.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 14
I'm a Chicago commuter like the above poster, and I constantly listen to IEMs while walking around the city. They isolation, might feel a little strange at first, but within a few minutes you adjust. I don't think there is any real danger, provided you pay attention to your surroundings. The other thing I like is that while standing on the Metra platform, I can barely hear the train coming up. It's kind of nice to have some good ear protection from the city noises.

My best advice: Look both ways before crossing the street!!!

-Jeff

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 14
I wear my e2 around campus and vancouver and I do a 360 check when crossing road. As long as you are careful, I don't see an issue with wearing iem.

The only problem I have is people sneaking up on me and scared the **** out of me, since I don't hear them coming.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 14
heh, its the very same thing that has kept me worried since i got my e500s.

Actually, i am a walker, i walk a lot, from 1 hr to 3 hrs in a normal day and i walk along some really noisy avenues.

My recommendation? like they said, make a 360 degree check around you, and if you still want to hear that car coming, use it at low volumes so the environment noise is still something you can hear, thats what i do, i get a good seal and i use low volumes while walking.

And like unary said, pick something soft, like smooth jazz, new age, classical, stuff like that, since those genres sometimes have lots of spaces between the notes.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Hello everybody..

I have been wearing ER4P in Manhattan and it did not cause me any harm. I would suggest keeping the volume to a reasonable level so you can hear a car's horn or a person yelling at you to warn you of danger.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 14
Many dangers? It depends. For me the answer is "no".

I use public transportation and usually listen while commuting. To my surprise I found I actually cross only one street on my way, the rest I use pedestrian bridges. Otherwise when I'm not indoor, I'll be doing something else and not listenning to music.

Isolation is a must while I'm on the train. Also when I walk those bridges to train station I can hardly hear my Pk2. This is bad because I'll probably end up upgrading my canalphone. My poor wallet will hate me.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #10 of 14
Walking is no problem, use your eyes when crossig the road. I like IEMs when biking which is slightly more dangerous,especially when I get tired and relaxed after some hours.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Walking is no problem, use your eyes when crossig the road. I like IEMs when biking which is slightly more dangerous,especially when I get tired and relaxed after some hours.

i did it once and i live in a not so small town toronto and it was not a good feeling. on the country roads, i could hear nothing except a little wind racing by my um2. it was some sort of bliss, but at 30-70km per hour, i like to feel the environment so i dont make mistakes. a fall from that speed is dangerous, as well as dodging cracks or runnings in the streets is dangerous if cars are anywhere near.

no thanks! be careful

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Biking with IEM in your ears? No way!
When I started using IEMs, at first I was feeling quite strange, it was also quite scare , when braking truck passed by 1 meter from me and I couldn't hear it. However, after few days I got used to it and I think it isn't dangerous. You must just look both ways while crossing the street
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Can you actually listen the cars' horns (and car drivers are pretty reckless here)?

If you don't listen to music extremly loudly, you can hear horns. Of course it depends also on earphones you're using: for example E500's don't provide as good isolation as E3's do.

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My best advice: Look both ways before crossing the street!!!

-Jeff

And then look again and keep looking.

I live in London and during the first couple of days of wearing my UEs, whilst crossing the street I nearly got run down by a couple of cyclists - not blameimg the cyclists in any way -. Now I stop and look both ways and just to make sure I look again.

More time folks

V

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 14
don't wear them while driving. you're compromising your safety and the safety of others around you.. that's the only situation i can think of though. i always wear mine while biking, unless i'm in the street with the traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back