IEMs, <$300, With 3-Button Remote For Android?
Sep 13, 2015 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Te3k

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've been spending countless hours trying to figure out how the heck to buy my first real set of IEMs. Priorities for me include build quality (detachable cables?), 3-button remote compatible with Android devices (specifically the Galaxy Note 3), and of course sound quality. 

After doing so much reading for the past few weeks, I'm still sad to not be able to pull the trigger on anything. I came close to grabbing the Etymotics ER4 set. These appear to be what I'm looking for in terms of sound—clarity, universal listening, works well with eclectic tastes (EDM/punk/hip-hop/classical, &c), high quality, tried-and-true. Sadly, there's no three-button remote with these, but I heard one can purchase a separate cable and use an adapter to link it up to these monitors. Cool. But then I found out that such cables as Shure's CBL-M+-K-EFS are made for iPhones and most likely won't work with a Galaxy Note 3. The cable for that one can only pause/play tracks, when what I'm most interested in doing is raising/lowering volume and switching tracks while riding my bike. (Don't really care about speaking through the mic.) The same goes for the HF3 set made by Etymotics (<$150), whose sound quality I would've been willing to accept, but again, that built-in remote is for iPhones only. The Android version has a silly one-button remote that can pause music, but not switch tracks or adjust volume.

In the process of further research, I found Sennheiser's Momentum IEM at the $100 price-range that comes with an Android-compatible 3-button remote. I'm almost ready to give these a go. The only thing holding me back is concerns about the sound quality. I'd like to spend a bit more and get something closer to the ER4's quality. But I'm not sure it's possible.

What should I do? I'm just not well-versed enough to understand how best to approach the problem of finding a good quality IEM that has an Android-compatible remote. Is it at all possible to get the ER4 to work with a 3-button remote for Android? If not, are there any comparable options available? I'm hoping someone who's more familiar with what's out there can help me out. 

Thanks guys. I'm utterly overwhelmed by the bustling action happening in this community. I was hoping that enough reading would lead me to solve the problem I'm facing myself, but alas I cannot so I may as well ask.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 10
Here's a link to the adapter approach found in the ER4 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/5565#post_11381276

And here's a link to the headphones I'm considering by Sennheiser:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00N3RFFV6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 10
Well. You might want to try RHA MA750i... They are compatible with Android phones

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
edited: Sorry, it turns out they only compatible with iPhone (as stated on their website)

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 10
Looks interesting. I think I came across this set in my research. One thing of concern is this question asked on the Amazon.ca page:

Q: Does the mic work with an Android phone?
A:
Depends on the phone, I have a OnePlus and it does not, but on my nexus 4 it did. The volume keys don't work whatsoever on any Android. You can program the main button to skip songs though (3rd party app)

Bah.

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 10
I'll probably buy the Senn's in the morning, get them 1-day shipped. If they're good enough, then alright—problem solved. Otherwise, I'll return them and grab something better and accept the fact that it'll always be a hassle trying to change music while riding.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 10
I've been trying out the Senny Momentum IEMs today. Happily, the remote works very well straight out of the box on my Note 3 running a custom AOSP/CM ROM! With regards to sound quality, it's not as great as I was hoping. Everything sounds a bit wet. I went ahead and ordered the Comply T-150 foam tips which are reputed to work with these. They'll arrive in a couple weeks. They're supposed to be more comfortable and create a tighter seal and lead to higher quality sound. Hopefully that's true. I'll try and report back once I get a chance to try them out. For now, I'm happy to have a better quality set of phones than I was used to using, with a working remote. Maybe one day I'll find a better quality solution for Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back