IEMs ~$130 for sub-par sources
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

veruvius

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new set of IEMs to use with my phone, laptop, and occassionally, my Sansa Clip. Here are the priorities:
  1. Comfort - I'm envisioning something like the Westone UM1, which is the most comfortable set I've owned (I used the tri-flanges modded to bi-flanges). Bullet style always seems to fall out of my ears, whether straight down or over the ear.
  2. Isolation - The most passive isolation I can get for IEMs that fit my other criteria.
  3. Sound - Accurate and clear, maybe on the warm side of analytical. I listen to all kinds of music regularly (rock, hip-hop, jazz, classical, blues grass, etc.) and hate having to EQ as I switch genres. Nothing over-emphasized. I'm willing to spend up to $130, but I can't tell what's overkill for the sources I use.
  4. In-line mic - this is a nice-to-have, not a need. 

I have been focusing on the VSonic GR06 and the UE600. There are more costly options that interest me, but I'm wondering if they are worth it. Many of them aren't the contoured shape of the UM1 which dictates over-the-ear wear, which also gives me pause from the frustration other bullet style IEMs have caused me. Any input is greatly appreciated - I'm trying to get something ASAP. Thanks!

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 4
I must say I'm intrigued by the RE-400, I just wonder about the fit/comfort for my ears.

Can anyone just say whether it's a big concern to worry about source quality with this level of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back