IEMs ~$100 for rock?
Jun 23, 2006 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Istasi

Head-Fier
Just as the title states, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs around $100 or less for listening to mostly classic rock, such as The Who, Ted Nugent, Thin Lizzy, Steppenwolf, The Rolling Stones, etc. I'm not looking for anything too analytical, when I listen to music, I listen to it as music, not as a collection of sounds to be examined and analyzed.

So, any suggestions?

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 8
I've heard the Ety's 6/6i are good and you can usually find some good prices for them.

The Apple store sells them and maybe they will let you try them out. But don't buy them there, too expensive.

Take care, Ed.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by biged
I've heard the Ety's 6/6i are good and you can usually find some good prices for them.

The Apple store sells them and maybe they will let you try them out. But don't buy them there, too expensive.

Take care, Ed.

Great IEMs, I'd suggest these or the Altec Lansing iM716's, both are great for the price.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 8
I second the iM716's.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 8
I third the Altec Lansing iM716's
tongue.gif

IM716.jpg

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #6 of 8
I got my er6i's about a week ago, and right now with the larger of the 2 bi-flanges I'm getting great isolation, decent comfort, and the clearest sound of anything I've ever heard, which, granted, isn't much. Also, I'm not sure how much bass people are used to when they say these are bass anemic, but they seem to have just the right amount of base to me, at least for most of my music. It's certainly not as lacking as I was half expecting it be. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
Also, I'm not sure how much bass people are used to when they say these are bass anemic, but they seem to have just the right amount of base to me, at least for most of my music. It's certainly not as lacking as I was half expecting it be.

This is because you don't have a direct comparision with other IEMs.
You would see that there are IEMs that have better bass but still
have good clarity.

Its next to impossible to judge this if you haven't heard anything else.
as those are your first IEMs be aware that whatever you will buy next
you will get used to the sound of your new purchase, so in future you
will be judging and comparing all new IEMs to the ones you are most
used to. And shifting your brain to accomodate to the new sound needs
time and makes really hard to objectively compare IEMs.

Just an example, me and my friend bought our first IEMs (westone um1 - me, er6i - him). After few weeks we swapped them. Our first impression were... wow, they are very dark (my friend on um1), wow... they are very thin (me on er6i). Then I bought er6i, listened to them for a few weeks, and finally I like them both. But now I am aware of strength and weakness of these two...

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 8
You are definitely right, and I hope to have more phones to compare these to relatively soon, my wallet permitting. They do have less bass than my KSC75's, but it is so much more controlled that, to my ears, it's equally pleasing, just in a different way. As vain as it may seem, I partially decided to go with the er6i's over the im716 because of the looks, I don't particularly want something that large just sticking out of my ears. Maybe my worries were unfounded, but I've made my decision and I'm happy with it. For now
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back