IEMs $100-$200
Aug 25, 2009 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

deltawalkerl

Head-Fier
I know there are many threads like this but I have some over-arching questions that I couldn't find the answers to. My ER-6is just broke and I'm looking for something in the $100-200 range to replace them. Back when I was purchasing those I was considering more expensive alternatives such as Atrio M5, SA6, and SuperFi 5 pro. But coming back to Head-Fi now I find that those models aren't really talked about anymore. Instead there are unfamiliar models like Phonak PFE, Head Direct RE0, Klipsch, and Sennheiser models, and even Ety and Shure's lines are refreshed. So my question is, are these new models really improved from the older models, so it wouldn't make any sense to purchase the more dated ones? And since there are so many models that are new to me, I'm hoping that people could suggest to me some models in that price range that would fit my preferences: I like good bass and I won't have an amp. And is there some sort of consensus as to a few models which are clearly better than others? Thanks.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Cresyn 750E, FX500, Denon AH-C710, Westone 2 and Custom 3......

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Good lineup, don't forget the new Westone 1, $129. Just came out. I own both the Cresyn and the Denons and both, I believe, are going to be keepers. Different phones, different sound sigs, but I like them both. I say either is a great value in this category, because both can be had for at or under $100. Beach Audio had the Denons for $82 once (the price I got) and newegg has the Cresyns for $80. I would not buy in the $150-$200 range, cause I'd just save money and go to the next level.

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the responses. Do the PFE, Westone 1, and AH-C710 have low enough impedance that they would be easy to drive without an amp? And something I've been wondering about the Audeo Phonak PFE, can it only be worn over the ear or can it be worn the other way as well?

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Denons are very efficient, and are driven to LOUD volume easily by my Sony X.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Westone 1 should also do quite well without an amp based on their impedance and sensitivity specs (and also based on the fact that their other new models do fine without one from what I've read).

No clue about the PFE though - I've never looked into them.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 9
PFE, for me at least, needed an amp for enough volume, others disagree. I really didn't use them without an amp, but I liked them a lot. Just decided to move to the Westones most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back