IEM with user-replacable/detatchable cables that meets my requirements
Jul 7, 2009 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

masamune9210

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I was wondering since one of the most common reasons for IEM replacement is cable failure, what are the IEMs out there with user-replacable/detatchable IEM cables?

I mainly listen to classical, but also enjoy japanese rock and pop.

I'm looking for a balanced,upfront and clear presentation.

So, some recommendations would be nice. Also, any tips on prolonging the life of cables would be much appreciated.

(My post sounds like its going on a dating website =P)

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Well, the Livewires/Fidelity custom IEMs fit the bill. I use a Steven Kelby cable on my LiveWires by choice, not for any cable problem. The Etys are universals but can be recabled. UEs have replaceable cables. Jerry Harvey IEMs have replaceable cables. Plenty of choices there. All with good detail. My Ety 4s were my first IEM, and I still have them, original cables and all. Very good detail, decent soundstage. Excellent value.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 7
IE8 and IE8
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Define "balanced" and "up-front."

I find the IE 8 handles classical and j-rock well, but they'll only suit you if they fit your definitions..

Many consider the ER4 great at classical. I would agree. With rock? Not so much (at least not for me).

Dunno about the Triple.fi 10 Pro.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 7
I'll be using these to walk around or use the subway a lot, so I've got concerns with the IE8s ability to isolate. The Triple Fi are rather bulky and unfashionable although I'd prefer functionality over looks any day. My main need is isolation, most IEMs I've heard can do classical reasonably well unless they're too bassy.

Balanced- Not one frequency sticks out too much over the other, I don't mind accented highs as long as they're not sibiliant. Same goes with bass as long as its not overpowering the upper registers.

Up front- Something like tenth row seats in a concert hall. I found the Monster Turbines were more like a recital hall rather than an actual concert. I guess this would fit into soundstage as well.

Also, because I'm still growing, I don't think I can use customs =/. The shape of the ear doesn't settle until you're past your 20 so I've read

Users who are viewing this thread

Back