IEM with sweat-resistant cable?
Oct 6, 2008 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

eug

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Is there an IEM out there with a sweat-resistant cable? I've gone through two pairs of E2s whose cables keep on hardening and cracking.

I'm not after supreme audio quality, just something decent like the E2. I use it when cycling to listen to podcasts... no, don't worry, i only wear one side and mostly ride in bike lanes or low-traffic areas!

I find normal earphones unusable as wind noise would force me to turn the volume up far too high.

thanks!

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 17
I think you may want to try Westone UM1 or, if you have the money - UM2. Those have high quality braided cables with pretty much zero microphonics and they should also be very durable and sweat resistant because there is no rubber coating.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you may want to try Westone UM1 or, if you have the money - UM2. Those have high quality braided cables with pretty much zero microphonics and they should also be very durable and sweat resistant because there is no rubber coating.

A friend of mine has the UM2 ... ... ouch! At around AUD$500 that's definitely too much. The UM1is a possibility.. no cracking issues with those cables so far?

thanks!

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 17
My V-moda vibes red roxx cable just cracked... wouldn't say they are known for good cables. They also completely ignored me when I tried to contact them about it. sweet.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 17
It is not how much, is about the nature and composition of the sweat, some persons transpiration is more agresive than others. I have read multiple cases about that hardening of cables, AFAIK the only solution is use an special kind of PVC jackets, and avoid rubber...I have heard complaints in mainly all IEM cables so far. So try to get replaceable ones...

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 17
Dang, My Shure E2C's just did this exact same thing. It cracked about 2 inches along the cable from the left plug. Seemed to have hardened right up, split, and now it is affecting the sound.

I am also looking for some replacements <$100 that are very similar. I may even just try to find more E2C's. They were just fine while they lasted, unless I find lots of recs for something with even better sound in that price range.

Only 1.5 yr old too.

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 17
bicycling is a serious workout and sweat is a proper biproduct. mate, i used to use um2 and they are good but they are overall subpar for construction if you stack them against the smaller and tougher audio technica ck10 which can be had for like 200$ usd.

my um2 went mainly as they hiss in a vacuum but they were lovely. the cable is good as many rock stars use it and it can survive sweat but... the ck10 honestly is better. as it is not braided, it does never catch on anything. i have used it for cycling (both ears - stupid me) often and have had it for 6 months including cycling in japan in the hot months. nothing at all wrong with the cable. it is bar none, the best cable i have ever seen on a portable

my list of portables ive owned or used
cx300
um2
um1
er4s
e500
fx500
atrio
sa6
ck10
vibes
c700
c711
and loads of buds.

the ck10 are not cheap but for sturdy construction worthy of any sport, they are unequalled. small, dual monitors. the only problem in the construction is the straight headphone jack. you would have to keep them in your rear pocket or somewhere safe so that your ipod or whatever you use is not damaged internally from bumps or a fall.

if you have any further questions, i will be happy to pm answer you or help out futher in this thread. i will soon finish a review of them (probably within 2 weeks).

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 17
try the super.fi's out. They have cables that feel like plastic already. I feel like they would be durable, and even if they do wear out, you can just replace the cable (for the super.fi 3, 5 pro, and 10).

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only 1.5 yr old too.

Shure warranty is 2 years.
So call Shure and they will replace your e2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back