IEM with Headband?
Jul 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Andylaser

New Head-Fier
Hi all, hopefully someone can assist with this request. As a long time audiophile, I have only recently got back into portable music players. My last portable used tapes.
biggrin.gif
Anyway, having recently purchased a Sansa Fuze and the required components to build a Mini3 amp, I need to assess headphones.

My original thought (and still quite likely) is to get a pair of Portapros. I had a pair of Koss Pro4AA's some time ago and remember being impressed by both sound and build quality.

However, I do travel a lot (often by air) and thought something with a little more isolation might be beneficial. Especially as far as other passengers are concerned. But, this is where it gets difficult. Due to the shape of my ears, I cannot use buds. They just keep falling out. Also ear clips are not going to be much help as I wear glasses and dont fancy having 2 clips behind each ear.

Sooooooo. Does anyone know of IEM's that are available with a headband (not neckband please) and offer decent sound quality. I am looking in the $50 -$75 range but may stretch if something exceptional is available.

Or should I just stick with the Portapros and turn the volume down when flying?

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 10
I find JVC IEMs with headband are quite phenominal for the price n overall sound quality is amazing.

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Just FYI--

Buds and IEMs stay put in the ears by different mechanisms. Because you have had trouble with buds staying put does not necessarily mean that you will have trouble with IEMs. In fact, it would be entirely coincidental (and unusual) if you did.

Also, (caveat: I have never tried an IEM with a headband) with a proper seal (required for decent sound quality), I would think the headband on an IEM would be superfluous. That is, the phones would stay put because of the seal, not because of the headband.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Don't the Stax SR-003 have headbands?

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't the Stax SR-003 have headbands?

Yep, beat me to it
wink.gif

As for the OP: You really should try IEMs without a headband first. They stay in quite well and I am sure you can find a set of tips, stock or aftermarket, that work well for you. It just isn't worth giving up on the sound quality and isolation of the well-liked IEMs to get something obscure but with a headband IMO. Depending on your budget, you could start with something renowned for comfort like the Phonak PFE's or Klipsch X10's.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 10
I agree with the others - IEMs are NOT buds. I hate buds, they fall out and are very painful to my ears. IEMs are completely different - with the right tips they are much more comfortable than headband 'phones and very secure.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to give the NuForce NE-7M a try. If they dont work out, it isnt to much money wasted. Does anyone know a good source of aftermarket/replacement tips?

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andylaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to give the NuForce NE-7M a try. If they dont work out, it isnt to much money wasted. Does anyone know a good source of aftermarket/replacement tips?

Comply T-400's fit the NE-7M's. AFAIK the cheapest place to buy them us from Skullcandy.

If you've never used IEMs, you may want to hold off on buying aftermarket tips until you actually try the IEMs and decide that you want more comfort/isolation, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back