IEM with good cable and iphone controls
Jun 23, 2010 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vanishinghobo

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, this is my first post :)

I'm looking for a pair of nice iem with good cable and iphone controls. I recently bought a pair of shure (without controls and mic) and the cable broke twice (replaced thanks to warranty). Then I switched to UE super.fi 5vi, again cable broken after less than 10 months. Now I've looked for a new pair with iphone controls (mic and volume) and possibly with detachable cable, but I didn't find any (only triple.fi has a mic but unfortunately with non volume controls). So, a friend suggest me the monster tour; he said their cable are very good, even though the sound quality sucks. Klipsch has iem with iphone controls, but I have no idea if their cable is durable. 
My question is: What should I buy? :) I'll use those iem only with the iphone when I'm on the bus/train/road (I have audio technica and beyerdinamic at home), and I want them to be durable. I don't care if they don't have a super quality sound, just average is ok, but i'm really tired of broken cables!

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 5
From my personal experience, I found Shure cables to be the strongest from all the headphones I ever owned so far. Can't comment on Sennheiser IE8 as I have not tested it yet.

I'm afraid if you found Shure earphone cable too weak, then you will find many other brands' cable to be of inferior quality. Just my thought. But I hear Sennheiser IE8's kevlar enforced cable is really strong so you might want to find more about those.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Here's a thread that starts with very comprehensive list of IEMs with remote/mic features. Note that it incorporates links to head-fi reviews where available.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
From my personal experience, I found Shure cables to be the strongest from all the headphones I ever owned so far. Can't comment on Sennheiser IE8 as I have not tested it yet.

I'm afraid if you found Shure earphone cable too weak, then you will find many other brands' cable to be of inferior quality. Just my thought. But I hear Sennheiser IE8's kevlar enforced cable is really strong so you might want to find more about those.

I don't have much experience with iem, but in my case shure cable was more fragile than UE, but both disappointing :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back