IEM with Details VS Impact -- a conundrum?
Jul 30, 2009 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a couple of days into my RE0, after a 2-3 day burn-in period. The details and smoothness of the whole spectrum is really nice. But I find myself wanting some of the visceral bass impact of the NE-7M. Comparing the NE-7M to RE0, I know the NE-7M bass is probably a bit exaggerated and fuzzy -- the extension is pretty good, but the details are fuzzy.

OTOH, the RE0 bass is clean and clear, but could extend a bit more for me. Even tho the RE0 has dynamic drivers, it feels a bit like a Shure armature driver: great details, but a bit shy on bass impact.

So, inside of $150 USD, IS there an IEM that has great, exquisite details AND good bass extension and impact?? PFE?? Turbines??

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 10
exactly why I sold my RE0's, the bass impact wasn't there as with the NE-7M's.
I'm ordering some JVC Victor FX500's tomorrow, will keep you updated as to how they sound

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 10
I have the JVC FX500's and they produce excellent bass extension with good impact. It also produces very good details for a dynamic iem but the highs can be a bit too harsh at times. Comply foamies will make the highs smoother and not as piercing.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 10
A detail IEM can often be given impact with the right amp. The opposite is sometimes true, if there is not a lack of resolution. So if you are planning to have an amp sometime in the future, it might not be a conundrum.

RE: The FX500's. I heard them last weekend at the CO Meet. I really liked them. They are warm and detailed, and possibly the best IEM's at their pricepoint.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Jul 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A detail IEM can often be given impact with the right amp. The opposite is sometimes true, if there is not a lack of resolution. So if you are planning to have an amp sometime in the future, it might not be a conundrum.

I'm using a Fiio E5 portable amp, and that's helping some. Obviously, it's not a powerhouse amp, but many posts here have said until you are ready to spend around $200 on an amp, the E5 is fine. I don't want to spend $150 for something that's only a little better than the E5.

About the JVC Victor, where can I buy it online?? Can't find it anywhere!

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 10
What kind of music do you listen to? I've had my FX500's for about three weeks now and I wouldn't recommend them for any metal or hard rock music. On the other hand these things are amazing for hip-hop/rap.

The mids are audibly recessed when you get them out of the box but after some listening it improves a little (at least with the time I have in). This was very annoying when I first got them but I am starting to come to terms with it.

I'm starting to feel like if you listen to music that doesn't have an overwhelming amount of action going on in the highs then they are really a great pair of IEM's. I still need to hit some burn-in milestone and get some tip experimentation going so I'm just throwing my two-cents in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back