IEM with better or as good Bass as the Super.Fi 5 EB
Nov 21, 2008 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

swanlee

500+ Head-Fier
Hi
I've had a pair of Super.FI 5 EB's for some time now and am pretty happy with them but currently looking to upgrade. My only issues with the 5 EB's are they kind of hurt my ear a bit after wearing them for more than an hour or so.

Thing is the 5 EB's have the best Bass I have heard out of a IEM and I am not willing to step down in bass.

So is there another IEM with better or comparable bass than the Super.FI 5 EB's?

I'm pretty interested in the Sleek SA6, they are small and have configurable treble and bass ports. I have been told though that even the better bass ports don't comapre to the bass of the 5 EB.

So what slighty smaller IEM have as good or better bass than the 5 EB's?

My price range is around $300 US

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 18
theres plenty with better bass, tighter, more accurate and deeper. but is there any that have as much mid bass volume? no.

bass can be split up into 2 catagories, sub and mid...sub being 40hz and below. this is where the quality from quantity is seperated, if you can hear your phones pumping out 20hz with great accuracy then your lucky. what the EB do is a lot of mid bass 60hz-180hz. this loud mid bass gives the impression of loads of deep low end but in reality the depth cant truely be measured with ordinary music, you need test tones.

so theres my explanation of depth and power, now what do you honestly want? my guess is power as this is the powerful dynamic sound you seem to be used to.

so my answer to your question is no theres not really anything else that will bring that power to the table. but for sure theres earphones that give cleaner deaper response, atrio m5 maybe, even the super fi 5 pro and shure se530/UE Triple fi 10 give deeper cleaner response. but none of those IMO give the power you may like. i have not listened to the sleeks myself but they have been said to have good clean bass but not alot of punch and power. so these wont boom like your serious hybrid brother there

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanx for the info

I play drums so the mid bass is pretty important, I like powerful bass lines and poweful bass drums.

I always hated how puny and light most IEM sounded when it came to bass. Guess I did a good job of choosing IEM's for my tastes as i do like the power of the 5 EB's.

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 18
I have the Super.fi 5 EB and the Klipsch Image X10.

The Super.fi 5 EB has less impedance and a higher overall bass volume output. It is also easier to configure a good EQ setting for the 5 EB, probably due to dual driver vs. single driver with the X10s.

Now, the Super.fi 5 EB has the higher volume output, and with the right tweaking with some very good EQ software you can get great, amazing sound out of them. The Image X10s have a much better sound to them naturally, and the bass is a lot clearer, however the X10 does not have the capacity to put out as much thump as the 5 EB, nor is it as easy to tweak it, as raising one frequency can adversely affect a range of other frequencies much more than with the 5 EB.

Personally, if you don't want to sacrifice output, I would probably try the Future Sonics Atrio M5. The Image X10 is a good IEM, but they won't make your head rattle without some very careful tweaking, and only on your PC (no portable player I know of has much beyond a simple and usually crappy EQ). The M5 is the only IEM I've heard of that is supposed to rival the 5 EB for overall output.

For the record, the Atrio M5 or the Sleek Audio SA6 will be my next IEM purchase (The SA6 will NOT satisfy your need for bass, BTW). I'm trying to get the full range of "basshead" IEMs in my collection to find the "best" one. At least, that's the goal.

Whatever you decide, you'll probably end up with slightly less bass, but it'll probably have a much clearer and more pleasant sound to it than the 5 EB, which suffers from having a powerful bass driver and a regular mid/high driver that doesn't compensate well for the extra bass.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 18
im using the SA6 with the new bass + port. i even did a pinhole mod on it (just experimenting) and it gave a lil more thump. lets just say even with that, the bass outputted is NOTHING compared to the atrio m5.

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 18
They may be worth trying though.

In all honesty I think the 5 EB's are the correct IEM for me but I certainly wanted to see if there was anything better for my taste. Seems I did good with these.

I had gone through 2 dozens ear bud and IEM before I got the 5 EB's and none ever approached true home stereo sounding bass like these.

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 18
How does the Super.Fi EB compared to the Triple Fi 10 in terms of bass?

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
close, but they still dont bang like EB's

More like the EBs don't bang like the M5. It has more bass, but less punch and more bloat. I think most people will agree that the M5's bass is better than the EB's.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 18
triple fi bass to me is great! Very crisp and has tons of impact but I have not heard the eb's personally so I cannot tell you how they compare. But I prefer them the the shure 530's since they still produce lovely lows and still crank out that high end the shure is very blatantly missing

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 18
you should have gotten the klipsch custom-3's which are closer to EB's. When i receive them I'll put up a good post.

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should have gotten the klipsch custom-3's which are closer to EB's. When i receive them I'll put up a good post.

so the klipsch custom-3 have similar bass to the EB'S?

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like the EBs don't bang like the M5. It has more bass, but less punch and more bloat. I think most people will agree that the M5's bass is better than the EB's.

i also agree with you 100% the m5 bass is better, but bass comes in 2 varieties. booming or tight. the EB's boom more and i think this is what the OP is after, i do honestly believe he wont appreciate the tight qualities of the m5 or similar phones when his ears will crave that bloat.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also agree with you 100% the m5 bass is better, but bass comes in 2 varieties. booming or tight. the EB's boom more and i think this is what the OP is after, i do honestly believe he wont appreciate the tight qualities of the m5 or similar phones when his ears will crave that bloat.

I don't completely need the bloat I'm a pretty intense audiophile. My main Audio system is comprised of Lexicon, Bryston and Anthony Gallo equipment. In my years of trial and error with heapdhones and IEM's though the EB's have been the only IEM's that could approach the power of my main audio system.

If an IEM sounded good, smooth, detailed and still had some good bass power without sounding puny I could probably appreciate them.

It's hard to describe but the EB's for me are the only IEM's I have heard that sounded like a REAL home audio system being played in my ears because it had that low end bass that you get on a real audio system.

So I could probably live with something that overall sounded better than the EB's as long as they did not sound thin and puny. I also like to stay away from overly Bright and brittle sounding audio equipment, my tastes definitely prefer warm, natural, but still detailed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back