IEM with bass
Jan 26, 2009 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ecruz

Head-Fier
I'm new(er) to headphones. My full size cans are Sennheiser HD 650's. Since buying them, I can no longer listen to my Shure E4c's, driven by a Headroom portable amp. Are there any IEM that deliver a full sound like the HD 650?

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 14
IEMs will never sound like the HD 650 IMO.

I know, you want an IEM that comes close so what is your budget?

You need big bass with a warm sound, not sibilant but treble that is extended. Am I close?

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 14
IEMs will never give you the soundstage you like from full size cans.

Since your thread is titled "IEM with bass", you may want to consider the Atrio M5/M8, Westone 3 or Ultimate Ears SF5EB. They partially met my bass needs. I need to use my UE-11 otherwise.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 14
Shure SE530, or from what I've read, Sennheiser IE8s? Both are pretty good candidates. Repeating from above posts though, they're not going to completely replicate the big can experience though.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 14
I recently (about 3 weeks) got a pair of SCL4's (e4c) and found the bass a little lacking. I just picked up a pair of SE530's and the indeed give much better bass and the SCL4's seem to be more than just a little lacking in bass now. SCL4 are on ebay as of yesterday and have a pair of Phonak Audeo PFE's coming, with is said to have good bass (a bit less quantity but a bit more quality then the 530s). We'll see how they do.

I don't have cans so can't compare but the 530 Handel pretty well. From what I have read it would seem that the W3's and IE8's will give you the best bass U can get from IEM. the SF EB's might give you "lot" of bass, but I don't think it will be the quality bass nor the clarity of the IE8's and W3's. Of course I don't have any first hand knowledge in regards to these.

The question is how much do you want to spend for that bass ($$$+) and are you willing to sacrifice some detail to get it (little less $$$)?

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm not looking for the equal of the HD 650's. I know an IEM won't do that. I'm looking for a fuller, warmer sound. I never had an issue with my E4c's, until I got the Sennheisers at home. Now the Shure's seem weak and lacking.

I don't want to spend more than $150-$200.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 14
x2 on the FS Atrio M5/M8. They're not only in your price range, but really do deliver a deep full bottom end. When I owned them, they were a great complement to my e4c's....depending on what I wanted to listen to.

If the color is not a big concern, the M8s are $20 cheaper than the M5s....$159 rather than $179 at SoundEarphones.com shipped. And through the month of January there is an additional $10 off $100 order. (no, I don't work for them, but I will plug for one of our sponsors....& they were also the cheapest I saw online).

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 14
I would try the IE8's. I own the HD-650 and the IE8's come the closest to that sound of any IEM I've heard thus far. Good, tight bass, and very good soundstage for an IEM.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 14
I have Senn IE8, Shure SE530 and Senn HD650. To me the IE8 is much closer to the HD650 than the SE530 is because of it's open and airy sound signature.

The HD650 has a noticeable advantage in the treble and the IE8's bass is slightly more punchy. Except these slight differences the IE8 and HD650 are surprisingly similar sound wise.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecruz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not looking for the equal of the HD 650's. I know an IEM won't do that. I'm looking for a fuller, warmer sound. I never had an issue with my E4c's, until I got the Sennheisers at home. Now the Shure's seem weak and lacking.

I don't want to spend more than $150-$200.

^

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

Woops. It wasn't in your initial post, so I missed it.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back