IEM with a perfect bass
Oct 5, 2010 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mrbranch

Head-Fier
I am planning to buy an IEM  with the best bass reproduction. Need your recommendations. I listen mostly to R&B. Not too interested with custom IEMs, although I can stretch my budget up to 500-600 USD. Thanks in advance.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 25
That depends on what you define as "perfect."  It will depend on how much/little you want of certain aspects.  An example would be do you want tight, clean bass or thick, full bass?  Both could be considered ideal to different people, but the presentation is totally different.

So...define what your "prefect" means.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
That depends on what you define as "perfect."  It will depend on how much/little you want of certain aspects.  An example would be do you want tight, clean bass or thick, full bass?  Both could be considered ideal to different people, but the presentation is totally different.

So...define what your "prefect" means.

And you sir are correct.................example:  My co worker has a 12" Kicker solo baric in his car audio system..........it hits hard, very tight sounding with R&B/Hip-Hop and drops down to 35-40Hz..........I have a 12" JL audio sub.........that gets loud, has much more depth and rumble and drops to say 28-30Hz.  Two totally different sounds of bass.  I personally like deep, low bass, while my co worker likes his subs to kick. 

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 25
Pretty sure you would love Monster Golds.  I have both IE8s, Coppers, and Golds.  Without a doubt, the best of the 3 for fun banging bass is Golds.  Plus they still sound very good.  They are really fun, perhaps not extremely accurate compared to the Coppers, but very fun and great sounding.  

Quote:

And you sir are correct.................example:  My co worker has a 12" Kicker solo baric in his car audio system..........it hits hard, very tight sounding with R&B/Hip-Hop and drops down to 35-40Hz..........I have a 12" JL audio sub.........that gets loud, has much more depth and rumble and drops to say 28-30Hz.  Two totally different sounds of bass.  I personally like deep, low bass, while my co worker likes his subs to kick. 

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
Pretty sure you would love Monster Golds.  I have both IE8s, Coppers, and Golds.  Without a doubt, the best of the 3 for fun banging bass is Golds.  Plus they still sound very good.  They are really fun, perhaps not extremely accurate compared to the Coppers, but very fun and great sounding.  

Yeah, I head the grey Turbines, and I liked its bass better than my IE8, really wanna try the Turbine pros.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 25
I just want to comment on the Turbine Golds.  I just bought a pair and I'm a little disappointed after listening to them.  I expected them to really blow away my $20 Lenntek Sonix.  I want to say they have less bass impact, don't go as low, and have awkwardly louder mids and treble than what I bought from QVC.com for $20.  None of the tips worked well for me except the Complys and they keep wanting to fall off the barrel.

Oh and one side is louder and has almost no impact compared to the other side.  It almost makes it uncomfortable to listen to.  No it's not seal, the problem follows when switching ears.  They've been burned in for probably 20 hours at this point and the problem is just getting worse.  I don't know if getting a replacement is even worth it at this point unless there is more wrong than just the balance issue.

I am totally disgusted because I have had absolutely terrible luck with IEMs for the past 4+ months.  Major kudos to John Seaber at JDS Labs however; his cMoyBB is phenomenal and his support is even better!

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 25
im sorry but u have a very terrible seal than, mine actually ratlle my ears and you can feel the bass, as well as sounding amazing in the mids and highs.

i highly reccomend the golds for what your looking for, and with some left over change to do something else.

maybe an amp or another pair of cans.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 25
sorry all, but I think the Golds will not satisfy his bass hunger. Though the Golds have a "bassy" reputation around here isn't close to what he is looking for. I would compare the Golds to good full range home speakers. They are not a set of full range home speakers with a powered sub that is turned up 3 times louder than it should be. I'm thinking that is what he is looking for.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 25
Do you own them or just a guy stating an opinion based on nothing?  What do you think of the IE8s?  I own both and the Golds hit harder, lower.  I also own 2 sunfire subs, and the golds hit pretty good compared to those,

Quote:
sorry all, but I think the Golds will not satisfy his bass hunger. Though the Golds have a "bassy" reputation around here isn't close to what he is looking for. I would compare the Golds to good full range home speakers. They are not a set of full range home speakers with a powered sub that is turned up 3 times louder than it should be. I'm thinking that is what he is looking for.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 25
Radius DDM are quite amazing sounding monsters with mind blowing base. It is dual driver and it kicks hard.
Something better then DDM is SM3 or FX700. But both are quite different sounding, one is Dynamic and another Balanced armature.
Different type of bass.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
Do you own them or just a guy stating an opinion based on nothing?  What do you think of the IE8s?  I own both and the Golds hit harder, lower.  I also own 2 sunfire subs, and the golds hit pretty good compared to those,

Geez, a little aggressive aren't we? Calm down there little fella. 

I owned the Turbines and borrowed a friends Golds when I was thinking of buying a pair. So, yes I know exactly what Golds sound like. He is comparing the sound he is looking for to car audio subs. He did mention he is looking for a flater response of a jL Audio sub vs. Solo-Baric. Both of these subwoofer lines I am familiar with. I understand what sound he is looking for. He likes a flat response sub that goes deep vs a sub that has a peak at abut 50hz which gives that "kick" in the back. The monster gives a good deep flat response, but he is also looking for "loud" and "rumble' . I would not characterize the Golds as that. They do not overpower like he likes his JL to do.

Though I have never heard them(inserted that for Joesuburb's sanity) but the Eterna's has been described as an IEM with a subwoofer in the trunck rumble.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 25
i got both the turbines and the ie8 and the bass on the ie8 is way harder hitting, i wont comment on pros tho

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 25
I've used both the MTPG and IE8.  IE8 wins.  I don't know what to tell you really.  The MTPG is more balanced of course, and the bass does go low and is well controlled.  The IE8's bass is a little overwhelming at first, but your mind adapts...or you EQ.  The speed and detail of the IE8 is superior.  The MTPG has more thickness.

In terms of note reproduction, I do favor the UM3X over both.  The response over the bass region is flat, it is very articulate and offers good body and dynamics.  The IE8 could compete if it wasn't just  a hair laid back.  The driver isn't quite effortless, a high excursion well controlled driver but very slightly tamed energy and edge to notes.  Does this make the UM3X king?  Not particularly.  It really depends on what aspects are important.  For example the RE252, a relatively speaking bass light earphone, but it is decently extended and carries an unusually moderate note impact that is seldom presented among IEMs.  The speed and impact is very good and extension decent, even when compared against something like the UM3X or MTPG.

They are just all...different.  Is one option better?  Better is relative.  A person has to define what is ideal, what they seek in reproduction.  Some things are likable.  Some are not.  I know why you may like the MTPG better than the IE8 and I know why I may define the IE8 as better than the MTPG.  We are both right though.  We are just right in different contexts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back