IEM (w/ mic) suggestions for istening to 40's-50's-era music...
post-10531020
Post #1 of 6

talleyrand890

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the world of IEMs (and smartphones, for that matter).  I listen mostly to music from the 40's-50's: big bands, "The Great American Songbook."  My main source is internet streaming radio — very compressed sound (unless I shell out $$ for Pandora One or Sky.fm premium).  I have a recorded collection of this genre, too, ripped to AAC format.  I also listen to contemporary a capella (Pentatonix, Rockapella, Nylons) regularly.  There's also a small amount of classical music (chamber and orchestral), electric blues (BB King, Albert King, S.R. Vaughan, Chris Cain), and some guilty pleasures (70's pop, esp. Billy Joel).

My first IEMs were Apple Earpods, and I think they sound great on all the music I've listened to!  The drawback is that I can't answer calls with them.  I've tried some of the IEMs recommended on this site — Audio-technica Ath-ckm300is, Audio-technica Ath-chx5is Sonic Fuel, and SteelSeries Flux — and I've hated them all.  They were either very uncomfortable or lacking in bass (for my tastes) with a thin-sounding mid-range. The only one that approached acceptable is the Sony MDR-EX100AP/L, but it's really "meh."

I've been looking around on this site for sub-$100 IEMs, but I really can't tell from reviews models are appropriate for my listening habits.  It seems as if the new Xiaomi Piston 2.0 (w/ the HiFiMan RE400 filters and flanges mod), the Zero Audio carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT, or the Thinksound ts02 are good choices, but I've been disappointed with my review-based choices so far.  Any other options more experienced IEM wearers can make would be much appreciated.

post-10531502
Post #3 of 6

SteveHiFi

Member of the Trade: HiFi Headphones
Reaction score
You might try the Audiofly range, the AF45m is a good $100-or-so worth of headphones. Single button operation but gets the calls answered.

They have a good lively sound with a fair amount of bass, similar the the SoundMAGIC E10. The midrange/high freq. is great for picking up the harmonics/overtones of brass and woodwind.

post-10531916
Post #4 of 6

talleyrand890

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Steve.  I should have also mentioned that I have smallish ear canals, and the Amazon reviews indicate that this earphone is actually painful and require some sanding for that kind of anatomy.

post-10532052
Post #5 of 6

SteveHiFi

Member of the Trade: HiFi Headphones
Reaction score
Sanding? Some of the Audioflys do have a bit of an edge I suppose!

The AF33M may be worth a look then, it's generally much rounder. It's the entry model in this range but sounds fantastic for the money.

post-10551489
Post #6 of 6

talleyrand890

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
At this point in my exploration, I'm going to try out the Meelectronics M-Duo and the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore.  If, after a decent burn-in period, I'm still dissatisfied, I'll give the Audioflys a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)