IEM vs. Headphones
Apr 12, 2007 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gbadude

New Head-Fier
What are the pros & cons of each. I personally bought a pair of ER6i which by the way are awesome, but I noticed a lot of the members here own both a pair of IEM's & headphones. Not that I have the money to go buy a pair of head phones, but I would like to know the pros/cons of each. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 7
From my personal experience, I still take my headphones over my IEMs. Then again, my headphones costed me twice as much....

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm not actually wanting to buy a pair. I'm just asking the differences between a pair of headphones and a pair of earphones. Does one provide better isolation, better sound, etc. I meant in general, no specifics.

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 7
IMO IEMs can't compare to headphones at all and I've heard the Shure E500s. IEMs are for portability and isolation, they really lack a realistic presentation in terms of soundstage and openness/airyness to compete with full sized headphones. The very nature of their design is their limitation. The E500s were incredible tonally, very detailed and musical at the same time. However, I think my HD595s are scores better than E500s, no way E500s can come close to HD650s. The owner of the E500s that I heard (my brother) immediately agreed after he heard my HD595s. Maybe if you like the in your head sound or grado sound you'd take IEMs over headphones, I can see how it feels intimate.

IMO even the KSC75 bests the Creative EP-630, Shure E2c, and Etymotic ER6.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 7
It really just depends on what you're using them for. I like my IEMs for my commute as I'm on the bus and I want something that isolates well. I prefer over the head headphones for the office and home use.

IEMs do have a more in your head feel, which is sometimes what I'm looking for. On the other hand, I really enjoy the spaciousness of regular headphones. This is why you see so many people with multiple sets used for different purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back