IEM version of the HD650?
Sep 14, 2010 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been searching for a long time and still haven't found it, my perfect iem.
Is there something with smooth mids, non fatiguing highs, preferably neutral or slightly heavy bass, and most importantly, great soundstage and isolation. If it's comfortable then isolation isn't as important. Over ear fit and at least decent looks are preferred. Good cable is a must. I've been spoilt by the IE8 and CK100.

The closest I have or have had would be the IE8 and R02proII. Neither have very good isolation, both are decently comfortable. IE8 has too much bass and too little isolation, while the R02proII just sounds 'not good enough'.

Price doesn't matter that much as long as there are returns, but I'm not willing to go far over $250 right now.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at the SE535 when the price comes down, and the IE6/IE7 but I'm scared of the IE series and senneheiser in general lacking isolation.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 14
Maybe try the IE7 with Comply tips.  If I remember correctly, they sound more like the HD650 than the IE8 and isolate slightly better (though not as well as the Shure).  Also, based on what you said above, I think the IE7 fit more of what you are looking for in sound ("neutral or slightly heavy bass") than the SE535--as the latter is slightly bass shy in comparison (though has more clarity in the mids and highs).  

This is just my personal impression, others may want to chime in with an opposing view point.

Good luck

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 14
Well that's an easy one, The aircoustic studio monitors.
I reviewed these yesterday and they sound exactly like what you are searching for
they are super comfy isolate way better than the ie series and sound very refined natural and organic just like the Hd650.
The cable is a touch on the rubber style and very similar to the ATH Es7 cable but still good.
And on top of that they are only £49.99 on hmv.com.
As i said in my review which seems to be going by unnoticed is that don't be put off by the make because they sound fantastic and are pretty much what you want sound wise.
Believe me these are an absolute steal at the price.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks, I was actually not sure of my bass tastes, so I put slightly heavy because I sometimes listen to pop and techno.
I can't really use complies as they cost $25 for 3 pairs here, which is going to add up in the future. 

More info:
TF10/SF5 - fun sig, great for in the mornings but in the evening I just want the smooth laid back sound. Also cannot tolerate their cables or housing.
CK100 - I want smoother mids and less highs. The low bass/high highs only works on the AD700 when I'm gaming.
There's not much else I distinctly remember...

I may end up buying an IE6 refurb since it's only A$80 shipped right now. Has anyone tried both the IE7 and IE6?

I think right now I'm looking for the SE535, but the price is prohibitive.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 14
Hey I just noticed the SE425, but I've noticed that it doesn't seem to receive any attention on head fi, and I've heard that Shure's lower end offerings aren't anything special.
I've never even heard a Shure iem before, so I'm going by what I've read here.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 14
Shure is supposed to soon release the SE315, an update to the SE310.

I haven't heard the Se425, but I have owned the 420 and thought that the 310 was infinitely better (in price and performance).

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 14
A sneaky seller
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Earsonics SM3 (which I am currently selling)....and no this is not just a shameless plug, I feel it's true. Beautiful mids with easy highs and warm.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 14
mmmm your in aus, how about month old 530's for AUD$300ish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back