IEM Users: How long do your foam tips last?
Jan 10, 2006 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Bostonears

1000+ Head-Fier
I use Shure E4c's with the yellow foam tips. I find that they're good for about a dozen sessions before they need changing. How does that compare to what others get out of their in-ear-monitor foamies? If you use foam tips on your IEMs, please take the poll.

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 22
There's a poll ??

I really need to order more comply tips for my UM2's. I've used the same ones daily (with daily antibaterial wiping) for about 2 months now... they're starting to lose their expansion abilities...

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 22
Well I had to vote for the "original pair" option, but they're scrupulously clean, just not as spongy...

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 22
I use a pair of shure e2c's and change my foamies when they get really filthy and they lose their elasticity. Typically every 3-4 weeks.

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 22
Been using the fome tips on my E3c for 2+ months (2 hours a day, 5 days a week) washed them with mild soap once a week and drying immediately - still going strong. I think another month and will have to replace
plainface.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 22
I'm a bit surprised that so far in the poll, 40 percent said they were still on their original foamies. You know, they only cost a buck or two to replace...

By the way, when I was out at the Consumer Electronics Show, the Shure booth had a goldfish bowl full of foamies, for people to try out the IEMs. They would get used for an average of about 30 seconds, then thrown away. (Most people were just casual "tire kickers," not serious IEM shoppers.) If you asked nicely, and you told the Shure folks you already owned a set, they let you have a handful of the foamies. When I emptied my pocket later, I counted 15 of them.

Jan 11, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
Indeed they should. But when you can make a million percent profit and there's noone who can or will really stop you......

Well Said.

That's why I use the flex sleeves and tri-flanges. They aren't touching anymore of my money.

Jan 11, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 22
My UM1's are still going strong with the original short Comply tips that were pre-installed, ofcourse it's still 1/2 month old. Although the right Comply foam seperated from the plastic nozzle when I pulled the IEM's out after a listening session, luckily I was able to pull it out. I proceeded to put a small layer of glue around the tips and stick the foam back on it. It's dried now and I'm good to go!
etysmile.gif

P.S. I don't mean the plastic nozzle on the IEM's themselves, just the ones that are "stuck" to the each comply foam.

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
when you can make a million percent profit and there's noone who can or will really stop you......

I guess Shure doesn't make enough selling the phones <<cough, cough>>.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 22
I own my Westone´s not so long so i still use the original ones..

But another question... Someone knows where u get some Tips (comply --> westone) here in germany? Since i dont wanna pay shipping from USA for some crappy tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent117
I own my Westone´s not so long so i still use the original ones..

But another question... Someone knows where u get some Tips (comply --> westone) here in germany? Since i dont wanna pay shipping from USA for some crappy tips
smily_headphones1.gif

That's exactly my concern too. I'm planning to get some IEMs (UM1 probably) from earphonesolutions, but I'm afraid I'll have to order quite a lot of tips with them (even ignoring which size is the best for me), cause buying them later means a $20 shipping (to Europe) for a $9 package (!)

I'll let you know if I find a shop in the EU (though I'm not very optimistic about it...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back