IEM upgrade suggestions from NuForce NE-7M
Apr 9, 2010 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

moee79

Head-Fier
So I've been loving my NE-7M's for some time now. I've had it for almost 2 years to go with my iAudio7. It is my first phone that I bought separate from the DAP, and I must say it was a good buy.

My first upgrade was the iBasso T3 portable amp which I ordered last night. And my second upgrade will be an IEM, hopefully around $250~300. I think I'm looking for something more analytical, controlled and faster bass, airy and bright in the mids/trebles, and of course wider sound staging. I've played around quite a bit with the EQ settings but I kept wanting more.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm from Toronto/GTA, Ontario, Canada, so customs/shipping are also a concern. I was initially looking at the UE Triple Fi 10 Pro on ebay, which I could get just under 300 in total.

Anyways, my plan is to fill in the blank below... I did set a budget of 300, but if there is something that can also replace my Grado HF2 purchase, it's possible to go up to 400~500.

Portable: Cowon iAudio 7 > iBasso CB06 > iBasso T3 > _____________
Transportable: Laptop > to buy iBasso D4 > to buy Grado HF2 or similar

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 7
From what I've read the NE-7M and Turbine Pro Copper sound like they have very similar signatures (bassy but fairly balanced). And the MTPC is one of the universal IEM kings right now so it would beat your nuforce in every respect. If you want to try a multiple BA IEM instead (for a slightly different sound), you might look at the Westone 3/UM3X.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 7
Do Dynamic and Balanced Armature IEMs have their distinct flavors?

And would I see a big difference going from NE-7M by purchasing an IEM in the $250~$400 range?

Or would the difference be much greater if I got an open headphone in the that range? I'm thinking I could go with the NE-7M and find its new limits with the new T3 until I save up more $$.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 7
BA and Dynamic drivers do have different strengths and weaknesses. Two general things thats are known for them are that BA are typically fast and dynamic have the nice low bass rumble that isn't usually there is the other one.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by moee79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do Dynamic and Balanced Armature IEMs have their distinct flavors?

And would I see a big difference going from NE-7M by purchasing an IEM in the $250~$400 range?

Or would the difference be much greater if I got an open headphone in the that range? I'm thinking I could go with the NE-7M and find its new limits with the new T3 until I save up more $$.

Yes and yes, but not as great as you might expect (the NE-7m aren't that bad to begin with).

Full size headphones are fun too. I love my grados.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Hey im from Ontario too! I have not heard a pair of NE-7M's myself but I ve heard that IE8 has a pretty similar signature that you might like. If you would like to change a taste, I would say SE530 is my favorite and it fells in your range (it is also on sale on Amazon for 279 now with the PTH control, that s like almost 50% off its original retail price). Great instruments separation, great mid-range. Cant really go wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back