IEM under 200
Aug 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tatoomental

New Head-Fier
Hi, I live in mexico and I have a pair of headphones Sony MDR EX310LP.

I am a bit comfortable with them, but I want to move forward with a budget below 200.
I have in sight the following: 
- Shure se215
- Denon AHC560R
- Audeo PFE 112
- 1 Earphones Westone

Are I've seen in Earphones solutions. Any feedback on these or others in that range is welcome!!

Thanks in advance.
TM

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Another vote for the GR07.  Also, look at the Ultimate Ears TF10.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 11
TF10, R-50, EPH-100, PFE112, HF5 or GR07 are my recommendations under $200.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 11
As much as I'd love to blindly start churning out IEM names, I won't since there is one vital piece of information (maybe two):
  1. What genres of music are you planning to listen to?
  2. Do you, yourself, already have a preferred sound?  If so, what is it?  If not (or you don't know) don't worry about this.

The first question is required for any success in getting a good IEM.  The second is only required if you know a certain sound you want.  Please also let us know what you liked and didn't like about the 310s.  I haven't heard them myself, so I won't be able to base suggestions on it, but it will help those who have.  

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 11
I like listening to music a little variety, maybe a little more alternative rock, house, a little pop and a little more regional and Salsa.

I like strong, deep bass and natural, which are not colored. In particular, Sony MDR EX310 have seem unnaturally low.

It strikes me that do not qualify my options are bad? The selection is made ​​based on the ranking published Earphones Solutions ..

Thank you in advance for your comments ..

regards

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I like listening to music a little variety, maybe a little more alternative rock, house, a little pop and a little more regional and Salsa.

I like strong, deep bass and natural, which are not colored. In particular, Sony MDR EX310 have seem unnaturally low.

It strikes me that do not qualify my options are bad? The selection is made ​​based on the ranking published Earphones Solutions ..

regards

None of your ideas were bad actually, many of them are well regarded and going to end up in my list of recommended IEMs :)  I just wanted to know a little more about what you wanted so you won't be as disappointed.  

So here are some ideas:
  1. Top of my list is the Phonak PFE112 you had in your list.  It's a very versatile IEM that uses filters to tune the sound.  It's a very natural sound with a slight V-shape with the black filters, but a very accurate and articulate sound with the grey filters.
  1. Another option I would say is the Brainwavz B2.  It's a balanced sound to it, although it can have a bit of harsher high end.  
  2. Nocs N800s.  I just got them in today, so you'll have to wait until I break them in more.  Right now, they would work for you as well.  Sound is very similar to the B2 with a more controlled high end.  Nocs just updated their driver tuning, so sound has changed (older reviews won't do justice).  I know Tyll from InnerFidelity will be doing a review as well (another respected eprson on Head-Fi).
  3. Etymotic HF5 (or anything else in the series 2/3).  This is an analytical phone that has extended treble like the B2.  Less bass though, more focus on the mids and highs.
  1. There are other options, but these would be the direction I'd head towards.  If you can spend 30 more bucks, I'd look towards the ACS T15.  A warmer PFE112 that extends lower and has better detail retreival and treble extension.

There are models that I haven't heard, but have read about:
  1. The Shure model you stated (I haven't heard, so this is based on the collective information I've read on them) is well regarded around here for its warm sound by sweet midrange.  From what you said, it may not be what you're looking for, but it sits at the extremes of unnatural lows (from what I've read) and accurate lows.  I have read very little about the rest of the IEMs in your list.  I know many people on this forum have heard the Westone 1s though.  Westone 2s are said to be a well balanced sound as well.
  2. VSonic GR07 is a well regarded balanced sound.  Some people describe them as neutral, I can't confirm this finding, nor will I deny it at this point (neutral is a word that is thrown around on this forum a bit too much IMO).  It's signature will work well for what you are looking for as well.

I know this is a lot of information.  I've avoided all V/U shaped IEMs.  Out of all of these, I would go with any of the following (from first to last):
  1. ACS T15 (if you can afford it)
  2. Phonak PFE or VSonic GR07
  1. Nocs NS800*

The rest seem like there is a chance there'll either be too much treble, lacking lows, or unnatural lows.  

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks tinyman392,

Yes, is a lot of information. An important point of my interest in changing of headphones is that I want to take a step forward in sound quality is better than the MDR 310 that I have.

The main use is in the office for periods of 3 hours a day or so.

It appears that Phonak are a good choice as the Shure 215. I have read good reports from the Westone 2 onwards but the start to get out of my budget ..

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Thanks tinyman392,

Yes, is a lot of information. An important point of my interest in changing of headphones is that I want to take a step forward in sound quality is better than the MDR 310 that I have.

The main use is in the office for periods of 3 hours a day or so.

It appears that Phonak are a good choice as the Shure 215. I have read good reports from the Westone 2 onwards but the start to get out of my budget ..

They are both well regarded on head-fi :)  I do believe that the Phonak is the safer choice as they can be tuned.  They won't isolate as well as the Shure, but will be fine in the office (unless you have some crazy partiers in that office :p).  Phonaks are among the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, so no problems there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back