iem under 200 u.s. dollars
Feb 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 35
Another vote for the HF5. Can't recommend them enough

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 35
Original Poster:

I'd go with the Hf5, or the Mc5. I bought both just to see what the differences where, and it was minuscule as far as sound quality goes. The Mc5 sounded better for vocals, and the Hf5 had a very slightly better bass sound when I compared them head to head. I'd get the Mc5 if I were you because of the better memory free mylar cable and better durability. The Hf5 is not very durable as I found out (Check my picture albums on here to see what happened.)

As for the Klipsch Image X10, I own that and the TripleFi 10. If you want a very nice bass sound (the best I've heard in an earphone) I'd go with the Klipsch. It has some emphasis on the lower frequencies but is still quite detailed while being warm. The treble is very smooth on that as well if you're ok with that as opposed to a more 'sparkly' or bright presentation.

As for the UE TripleFi 10, unless you care nothing for comfort and have large ear canals, I wouldn't go that route. While I really like to listen to the 'V' shaped frequency response, I wouldn't say that it has recessed mids as much as it just has extra bass and treble. I'd say that's the most detailed one of the four I've covered, though the frequency response certainly isn't flat. Depending on what you are listening with, if you have a decent EQ, any of these should do just fine.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
As for the UE TripleFi 10, unless you care nothing for comfort and have large ear canals, I wouldn't go that route.

that is another problem i have with them being that i have small ear canals.

as for bass i like some bass but i don't like lots of it. the sr60 had a good amount of bass for me.

Quote:
 if you have a decent EQ, any of these should do just fine.

all i have for EQ is on my sansa clip+

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 35
Sounds like you will be fine with an Etymotic then. As for your Clip+, you would do well to install Rockbox on it... then it will have one of the best equalizers, along with a multitude of other options like pausing playback when headphones are removed from the player, stereo separation control, and volume compression.

www.rockbox.org

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #20 of 35
Are any of the IEM's mentioned here a decent upgrade from the Senn IE-7?

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 35
being that the mc5 is so inexpencive compared to the other options, i can also afford to get a headphone amp to go with it. do you think it would be worth it to get a pocket amp such as fiio e5 or e11?

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 35
^I've only ever owned the Fiio E5, and briefly listened to a HeadStage Arrow, and wasn't able to tell much difference between using an amp and not. Personally I don't think amp's are much of a big deal unless you can't drive your earphones or headphones at normal levels. They certainly add volume and can add bass, but I really don't think you will need one unless you need something like a DAC to take audio from a laptop or something. (I use an external sound card for my laptop, as the on-board audio is terrible.)

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 35
Most IEMs don't need an amp. I've never had the mc5 so I don't know, but the only IEMs that I thought definitely benefitted from an amp or made a difference at all (to my ears) is the RE262 which I've just recently bought. But the E6/E11 is useful for adding some bass boost if you find bass lacking. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #25 of 35
If you have an amp; RE262's, no question.

If you don't; Either the Vsonic GR07 or the JVC FXT90. I find the JVC's to be bit more fun to listen to, but if you listen to a lot of fast rock the GR07's may keep up the pace better.

As far as Etys go, I'm not a big fan of analytical sound signatures and would recommend steering clear of them if you mostly listen to rock.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #26 of 35

Quote:
Original Poster:
As for the UE TripleFi 10, unless you care nothing for comfort and have large ear canals, I wouldn't go that route. 

I had the common fitment issues with the TF10, being that I have smaller ear canals, until I started using Sony Hybrid Tips. A world of a difference to me. I can walk around and do my normal activities without them falling out my ears, now.

Top notch IEM for a steal of a price. Crisp and detailed with just enough bass. Love 'em.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
I had the common fitment issues with the TF10, being that I have smaller ear canals, until I started using Sony Hybrid Tips. A world of a difference to me. I can walk around and do my normal activities without them falling out my ears, now.

Top notch IEM for a steal of a price. Crisp and detailed with just enough bass. Love 'em.

Out of curiosity, how are you guys wearing your TF10's? Mine actually fit almost completely flush to the ear when looked at from the outside.
Because they really aren't that hard to fit with the right tips and the flip mod applied usually. Maintains a seal even while moving about very quickly.

But in all honesty, in regards to the fit, you won't know until you try. The sound is definitely top notch.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #28 of 35
Is you budget a little open? If yes, then the Hifiman RE-272 could be an excellent candidate, if you have either a powerful source (for instance, the J3/ hm 601, etc), or an amp. Since you are coming from Grados, I think that would be an excellent option if you want a similar signature. Punchy bass that is detailed and yet not too significant, very clean mids and the crispest highs. Brilliant for the bluesy rock n' roll. It is about $50 more than your budget, but it's $50 very wisely spent. I sold my grado 225i to buy these and have never regretted it once.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how are you guys wearing your TF10's? Mine actually fit almost completely flush to the ear when looked at from the outside.
Because they really aren't that hard to fit with the right tips and the flip mod applied usually. Maintains a seal even while moving about very quickly.

But in all honesty, in regards to the fit, you won't know until you try. The sound is definitely top notch.

I wear mine down, and they don't stick out too much either. I also did the flip trick. It took me a few days to find what works for me, but it was well worth it. I had them in for hours today while working around the house, and I only had to do minor adjustments here and there. It's funny because I find myself enjoying songs I didn't bother with before because these puppies sound so sharp, haha.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #30 of 35
@Those recommending the RE272: Is it far more durable than it's predecessor? I remembered hearing a lot of feedback concerning broken earphones.

As for the TripleFi 10, the fit is uncomfortable and doesn't go particularly deep. Sure, it seals, and I've never had a problem with any IEM falling out, but the housing of the TripleFi 10 is so large as to make it hurt when you try to get it in your ear. I'm used to fitting most of the body of an earphone in my ears, and while I can do that somewhat with the TripleFi 10, I have to re-adjust it every half hour or so and take breaks. (I've done the flip mod with the cables and wear them looped over the ear.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back