IEM under $200 for EDM
Feb 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sesto Elemento

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I understand there have been similar threads and I have also read Joker's IEM reviews.However, I still can't seem to decide which of the following is best for me. I hope you guys can give me your opinions as well as the reason. I am looking for an IEM for every day purposes, but noise isolation is a must for study periods. My budget is under $200 CAD, of course the best bang for the buck is optimal. As the title states, I mainly listen to EDM (House with heavy drops, vocal, as well as trance ie: Tiesto, Dash Berlin, Bingo Players) with occasional Rap/Hip-Hop. These will be my first pair of IEM that are over $80 and I intend to keep them for as long as possible.

Here are my options:

Yamaha EPH-100SL - $150 USD / 164.42 CAD (order through amazon)
Onkyo IEH-F300S - $130 USD / 142.49 CAD (order through amazon)
Hifiman RE-400 Waterline - $120 CAD (Able to purchase locally)
Shure SE215 - $99 CAD (Able to purchase locally)
Torque T103Z - $180 CAD (Able to purchase locally)

*being able to purchase it locally is just a convenience factor*

Any input that can put me closer to a decision is greatly appreciated. Any alternative suggestions is also welcomed.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 20
Oops, yeah that's a typo, thanks for pointing that out. Yeah I tried the shure ones today and they were great! The dilemma I have right now is between that one and the Yamaha EPH-100. I've read so many good things on the EPH-100, especially for my usage purposes. The bad thing is that I can't find them locally so trying them on is impossible. I really do want to be able to compare the two through experience though.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 20
I highly recommend the M-Duo from MEElectronics. They can be found for $90 or less and worth twice the asking price. I have had mine for 6 months of daily use and they are holding up exceptionally well. Not to mention sound incredible!!

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 20
I haven't listened to the SE215 too much (basically an in store test), but it's close competitors, such as the Bose IE2, I am more familiar with. Both were good, but the M-Duo has very clean, powerful, textured bass in comparison.  The music preference you stated above WILL sound sooooooo good with the M-Duo. Although not my preference in music, I have tested many EDM/techno, dub step, industrial, and rap songs with the M-Duo and without a doubt sound better than both Bose and Monster/Beats, other Shure models and a few Sennheiser I have used,  by a large margin. Just last night I listened to Juno Reactor for 4 hours straight with the M-Duos and had to force them out of my ears. :p

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 20
Nice! I'll definitely look into it. I understand that the bass hits hard and clean but how are the vocals and noise isolation for the M-Duo? When I put on the SE215 for testing, I couldn't hear the outside world with the volume at about half way on my iPhone, the noise isolation was perfect, the bass is punchy but not too powerful and the sound quality of the vocals were great. I'm just a little bias right now because out of the ones I have been able to test out, the SE215 were exceptional. Your opinion makes me really curious as to what the M-duo could sound like and I wish there was a place where I could try those in person... maybe I'll just have to trust you and take a leap of faith haha

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 20
Klipsch makes some sweet iem's, and etymotics makes some descent ones as well. Look at the x7i's from klipsch and the hf5's from ety. I like the se215's but then both of those and the m-duo. I feel MEElectronics is cheaply built and they won't last long. Exact opposite with shure. Top notch products with an iffy price range though. I feel that se215's are your best bet though. Their sound stage and crystal clear quality is dreamy, but for EDM, check into some more bass heavy IEM's

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 20
Klipsch makes some sweet iem's, and etymotics makes some descent ones as well. Look at the x7i's from klipsch and the hf5's from ety. I like the se215's but then both of those and the m-duo. I feel MEElectronics is cheaply built and they won't last long. Exact opposite with shure. Top notch products with an iffy price range though. I feel that se215's are your best bet though. Their sound stage and crystal clear quality is dreamy, but for EDM, check into some more bass heavy IEM's

Thanks for your input. EDM is my main priority, but I also listen to hip-hop, rap, and the occasional RnB. I think the SE215 are definitely on the top of my list right now, they were just so comfortable for me.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 20
They are quite good IEM's, and for your music you'd want a real dynamic pair of IEM's, and I feel that shure has made a real killer pair when it comes to that. They use a dynamic driver which gives them incredibly detailed sound. The alternative to the se215 is the klipsch image s4i ii (for iphone, s4a ii for android). Klipsch's top of the line IEM's, the x10's have better sound quality though they retail for 300 bucks. The x7i's are about $130 though they barely sound better then the s4i ii

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 20
  Nice! I'll definitely look into it. I understand that the bass hits hard and clean but how are the vocals and noise isolation for the M-Duo? 

Noise isolation is excellent. Riding the bus I only hear the slight rumble of the engine, but I do sit at the back. It is dependant on the tips of course; I prefer the small triple flange, but the M400 from Comply work great, resulting in a near perfect isolation. Vocals are also fantastic. AC/DC's Brian Johnson's raspy voice comes through very raspy and wet. Simon Simmons of Epica hit very high and precise. Rob Zombie sounds devilish. Do note though although the M-Duo does not add sibilance, they do not hide it. To be completely honest, the same sibilance that is heard with the M-Duo can also be heard on my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro (dual b/a drivers with crossover).

Quote:
I feel MEElectronics is cheaply built and they won't last long. 

The M-Duo have kevlar reinforced cable and metal housing with very strong reinforced connection points. I have owned a pair for 6-7 months and take them out and about daily, including public transit. I have not only treated them like a pair of $5 earbuds, but have had several incidences where my arm snagged the cable resulting in my iPod launching out of my pocket, or the earbuds being ripped from my ears and they are holding up incredibly well with ZERO signs of wear. I live in Edmonton and will say it gets very cold here. -25'c and windchill and the cable has perfect flex still, with the Control-Talk working as it should. :p

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 20
Either SE 215 or pay $15 more for DN-1000. It sounds good with everything and I enjoy EDM with them.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 20
I suggest the Vsonic GR07BE or DUNU DN-1000. You can get it here for USD$130 with free shipping:

http://www.lendmeurears.com/

Here's a comparison between GR07 and SE215 from a forumer here:

From: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630585/vsonic-gr07-bass-edition-impressions/1815#post_10052250
  1. metabaron

I have both and the Shure don't even come close. The SE 215 are good for what they are, fun headphones for people that want a warm, not critical listening. They are outclassed by the V Sonics on pretty much everything, is not even a contest. In fact, they are not the best in their price bracket, and in fact even headphones that are cheaper, like the Dunu's Landmine, are better. Of course, personal preference plays a huge part in our selection, and you might prefer the Shure's sound signature. So they are not better but you might end up enjoying them more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back