IEM to replace Klipsch S4s Under $100USD
Feb 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Provac

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone it's that time again.

I am looking to move from the Klipsch S4s to something of a similar sound signature. The S4s served me well but I found the build quality and soundstage to be a bit lacking. i am a basshead but still value mids and soundstage so don't want to comprise much. I also have a pair of JVC HA-S500s which I love the sound of. 

Build quality and comfort is important to me as I will use these mostly for travelling, running and sleeping. Mostly listen to rock, techno, RnB and reggae. I have looked at a ton of reviews but seem to go around in circles. My Budget is $100USD that can ship internationally. I live in New Zealand which unfortunately have a horrible retail market for low-mid range sound so will import.

I am open for all suggestions, just hope I am not too much of a tricky customer!

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi,

Yamaha EPH-100 are probably your best bet, but they are priced a bit over 100 I think.

Maybe you should read about Brainwavz S1.

Best Luck!

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you here, trying to decide between IEMs of the same price range. From what I've read, the Steelseries Flux In-Ears and the Sony MH1Cs below punch quite above their price, if it isn't too inflated in NZ. Granted, Steelseries is a gaming brand, but it's gotten shining reviews, and so have the MH1/MH1Cs. Both of those should be well under $100. The Sonys have, apparently, more bass and less treble, so you may want to spring for the Steelseries instead.

Slightly closer to the $100 limit are the Nocs NS400, which offer very good detail according to reviews. Some say they're better than the Klipsch S4s, some say they aren't. If you can test them, please find out and tell me about it.

Unfortunately, I've not had the opportunity to try any of these, but judging by reviews, all three of those are good value.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 8
  The EPH 100s sound good but over budget unforunately. Not sure about the S1s. Is there any alternatives with similar sound signature and build quality?

This is a wonderful place to start:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-309-iems-compared-ces-impressions-part-4-added-01-27-14-p-852

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the replies so far! Trying to find more on Nocs NS400. Currently looking at ATH-CKM500 / Brainwavz M2 / Beyerdynamic DTX 101 / Philips Fidelio S1 / Wooduo 2.
Can you get IE 80 for under $100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back