IEM to listen classical music in the subway...
Jan 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

PhilippeM

New Head-Fier
Dear all,
Which IEM would you recommend to me? I mostly listen classical music, and I would mostly use the IEM in public transport, including in the Parisian subway which is quite noisy... Consequently, I was thinking of IEMs with a nice and balanced sound (for the classical music) and above all a very good isolation from outside noise.
My budget is around 60€ but I would be ready to go up to 90/100€ if the quality gap is really significant.
From what I have read up to now, I have pre-selected Shure SE210, Sennheiser CX-550 and IE6... but I am still open to other brands and models!
Could you please give me your best advices?
Many thanks to all!
Have a nice week-end,
Philippe

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 27
I haven't heard the shure SE210, but I own some of it's cousins, and with the Shure olive's they blockout enough of the noise that you shouldn't notice what's going on around you..
Mids and upper end shouldn't sound to bad either.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 27
Need an IEM? Check
Need isolation? Check
Want to listen to classical? Check

Solution? Buy an etymotic ER4 or hf5.

-Nkk

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need an IEM? Check
Need isolation? Check
Want to listen to classical? Check

Solution? Buy an etymotic ER4 or hf5.

-Nkk

You can close the thread.

They might not be inside your original budget, PhilippeM, but you gotta go with one of these. You can chose other IEMs but these are exactly what you need and should buy.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 27
I haven't heard the Etys so I don't know how their isolation compares to other deep insertion IEMs. My Klipsch X5 is excellent for classical, and with foam tips, isolates well enough to listen to classical on the DC Metro, which is as loud as Paris. I've used Comply and Shure tips and the Comply tips are more comfortable.

With shallow insertion IEMs, like my UM1, I can't listen to classical because the isolation is not enough for quiet moments in the music.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 27
well i have yet to hear another iem beat their isolation..although i dont have as many iems as some other people here

also just to note that if you dont like the tips they come with (assuming you do get them that is..whether hf5 or er4) you can always get the shure olives for them ;p

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 27
I think the etymotic ER4 is the best choice.

They got the BEST isolation you can get without a custom mold. Isolation is so important on a subway, I know because I ride it every day. Also, they are highly detailed, and it is really good for classical music.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the etymotic ER4 is the best choice.

They got the BEST isolation you can get without a custom mold. Isolation is so important on a subway, I know because I ride it every day. Also, they are highly detailed, and it is really good for classical music.

What tips do you use? I read that Ety's triflange tips provide great isolation. The 2 IEMs I've tried with triflange tips didn't isolate that well, im716 and X5. In both foam tips isolate much better.

The problem I have with a lot of tips is the more isolation you get, the less comfort you have. With the X5, I get near total isolation with medium Comply tips, but after 1/2 hour they hurt too much to use. With small tips, I still get good enough isolation, but not absolute. I also have seasonal allergies and when pollen is high, I can only use my UM1. I can't listen to music with much dynamic range on the subway with my UM1. They don't isolate well enough.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 27
If the Etys are too expensive, consider the RE0.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 27

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 27
You could also consider the jvc fx500. Here's a quote from head-fier shigzeo:
Quote:

Where the Victor shines is in timbre and texture of instruments. I am not saying the Victor is better than the JH13Pro (for many reasons), but you will not feel the strings or brass in the same way on the JH13Pro. The victor's timbre is perfect. Just yesterday, I was wishing that its driver and housing could safely be put into a custom shell which would retain the sound if not bring the mids a bit more forward.

simply phenomenal engineering by victor.

These headphones are known treble harshness with suspect recordings, or to those with treble sensitivities. But they are pretty w/ natural instruments. They also may not seal well enough.

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back