IEM that sounds similar to X10/X10i?
Sep 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JohnnaJohnna

New Head-Fier
I've gone through countless IEMs over the past year looking for an IEM with the lovely sound of the Klipsch X10i with a flush fit, and better highs but I've been unsuccessful. 

Here is my history: 

Klipsch X10 - my favorite sound. Very warm and romantic if that makes sense. Very fragile and not a flush fit. Could be a tad bit clearer. I also wished for more exciting highs.

ShureSE215- above average sound pretty good bass but lacking somewhat in intimacy and clarity. LOVED the fit.

Monster Turbines - Great hip-hop headphones. Poor fit for my ears no matter what tips I put on them. They would not stay in during long listening periods and I had to keep pushing them back in. Could not sleep with them. Not all that clear but very forgiving with some of my crappier music sources. 

Westone 3- Had such high hopes for the W3's. I tried to love them but the sibilance KILLED me. It was harsh and hurt my ears. I tried every tip from Complys to Olives to taking the triple flanges that came with the 3's and modding them and of course every tip in the box and nothing worked. 

Westone UM3x - It took care of alot of my wants in an IEM. Flush fit, not a hint of sibilance,  great vocals and OK bass. Problem? Boring sound. I use a Sony Walkman A series and the only thing that made these phones come alive in any sense was the "Heavy" EQ setting and even then it still made me miss the sound of X10s. 

I am thinking of trying the Sennheiser IE80. Am I barking up another wrong tree with this one? Some suggestions for another IEM?

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 6
I love the sound of the x10i too. due to the controls being incompatible with the phone I'm using, I was looking for a replacement. I found the Sony DR-EX102 and like them a lot.

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 6
Not sure how the X10s sound like, but I don't think there are many alternatives out there that are worn down and also provide good SQ with a somewhat decent bass. 

Try the Yamaha EPH-100s but I've had 2 die on my already.

How are the X10s? I was thinking about getting them but they cost 2.5-3x more than the EPHs and I heard their build quality are fairly lacking

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Not sure how the X10s sound like, but I don't think there are many alternatives out there that are worn down and also provide good SQ with a somewhat decent bass. 

Try the Yamaha EPH-100s but I've had 2 die on my already.

How are the X10s? I was thinking about getting them but they cost 2.5-3x more than the EPHs and I heard their build quality are fairly lacking

Now I'm no music expert on music sound or anything but I can honestly say out of all the earphones I have tried yet, they are the best I've listened to. The sound is warm and enveloping and lush. It doesn't attack you or beat you over the head with its sound but in a way makes you close your eyes and want to pay attention to your music without analyzing it. I listen to everything from Garbage to Radiohead to Usher, Brandy and Kanye West and this is where the X10's gives me chills. BUT when listening artists like Mariah Carey or Celine Dion, the x10's don't quite do the sopranos justice. That really sucks. As for the build quality, I didn't have them long enough for them to fall apart on me but they are VERY fragile. No joke, the cable almost angel hair pasta skinny so my advice to you is to research the Klipsch warranty and buy from an authorized dealer so that you can utilize that warranty if you need to.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeh haha I suspected that from looking at the photos, they look so tiny. I'm no audiophile, but the EPH are fairly lush as well and has just enough bass to sound good. It's not aggressive or fatiguing in any way, the bass has a bit of thump but don't bloom either. 

Maybe try the Vsonic GR01? They look like bigger/better build quality versions of the X10i, but might lack the bass. It's also known for being precise, not aggressive and warn sounding for a TWFK IEM apparently. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back