iem that is dark sounding with triple or double flange tips
Apr 13, 2021 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i have a problem with the fit of most iems, they tend to fall out too easily and not fit securely, the etymotics are the only ones (so far) that fit well.

I need another pair of iems and want a dark sounding (but not too much bass) that have double/triple flange tips as standard and secure/deepish insertion

Cheaper the better as iems do not have a great life expectancy (in my world) but fit is more important than cost.

Before anyone suggests custom tips, i have tried these with the shure se535 (deceased) and they were expensive and not hugely successful.

Any ideas

d

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Have you considered the possibility of getting the etymotic filters pack to replace the green (default) filter for one with higher dampening value (such as as the red and orange)? It'll tame the upper-mids and treble quite a bit.

But my personal favorite dark IEM and similar fitting to etymotic is the Final E500, which you can find for ~$25 and also I can fit etymotics 3-flanges on it without any issues, but the stock eartips are so comfy that you may change your mind.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 10
Have you considered the possibility of getting the etymotic filters pack to replace the green (default) filter for one with higher dampening value (such as as the red and orange)? It'll tame the upper-mids and treble quite a bit.

That's what I would recommend as well - any of Etymotic's XR IEMs + either the Etymotic Damper Kit or the red and/or orange dampers alone (if I'm not mistaking, the Etymotic dampers are similar to those offered/or even manufactured by Sonion).

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 10
That's what I would recommend as well - any of Etymotic's XR IEMs + either the Etymotic Damper Kit or the red and/or orange dampers alone (if I'm not mistaking, the Etymotic dampers are similar to those offered/or even manufactured by Sonion).

I actually love my er2xr and have fitted red filters - i just need another iem (as alternative/backup)

d

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 10
If you can still find a set, the NuForce HEM2 plus double- or triple-flange tips (nozzle diameter is pretty much identical to Shure/Westone/Etymotic/Audiofly IEMs) could be an option. Otherwise, with less bass quantity than the ER2XR, the Westone UM Pro 10 (right between ER4SE and ER4XR in quantity) plus dual- or triple-flange silicone ear tips.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 10
nvm, overpriced rec sorry

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 10
But my personal favorite dark IEM and similar fitting to etymotic is the Final E500, which you can find for ~$25 and also I can fit etymotics 3-flanges on it without any issues, but the stock eartips are so comfy that you may change your mind.
Interestingly i actually bought the final e1000 (instead as the reviews suggested they were worth the extra few pounds but there is no way i can fit etymoticn flanges on these -= the nozzles are way too fat.

d

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Interestingly i actually bought the final e1000 (instead as the reviews suggested they were worth the extra few pounds but there is no way i can fit etymoticn flanges on these -= the nozzles are way too fat.

d

Well, I disagree. E1000 is considerably brighter than E500 and worse sounding with weird peaks at the treble IMO. Also, I thought your goal was a dark sounding IEM. I think your 3-flange needs to be worn out quite a bit, a brand new eartip the stem is too stiff (made this video showing on E500). But how's the fit with the stock eartip?

graph (1).png

Normalized at 500Hz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back