IEM that is close to HP150 sound and portable DAC/AMP recommendation
Feb 8, 2016 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DwopDaBass

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am looking for some IEMs that will synergizes well with my HP150 headphones as well as a portable DAC/AMP to use with both the new IEMs and HP150s. I would like to spend around 130 USD but can stretch to 150 USD all together if it is worth the extra money. Currently the only retailer that will ship to my location (APO address) is Amazon, that is without adding any significant shipping fees.

The primary genres that I listen too are hard rock, dubstep (various sub genres within), and heavy metal. Though, I listen to a lot of other genres except jazz and classical, so I would like the headphones to be a good all rounder for most genres. I want them to have a good sound stage as the primary focus of the IEM, because that was the main reason for me choosing the HP150s

I will be just a little rough with them, I will try to keep the roughness to a minimum, but i will be wearing these in my daily walking commute to work, and other non-strenuous activities. So i would like to have a decent build quality able to withstand an occasional cord yank, or being quickly stuffed into a pocket for a couple minutes. For this reason I have taken off the HiFiMan he-400 off the list, as it seems a lot of people have problems with the build quality.

The list of IEMs I am considering:
Ostry KC06A - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW40LW6?colid=1PIG0OTIDF8KH&coliid=I3OORT3DG21HT9&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
Fiio EX1 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0124DOK8I?colid=1PIG0OTIDF8KH&coliid=I1OWTCAO4X5BA8&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl
Yamaha EPH-100SL - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00591GIMY?colid=1PIG0OTIDF8KH&coliid=I2ZRDI6QQ90RG3&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

I was also wanting to get a portable DAC/AMP to go with the new headphones and my HP150s. I will be on a long trip soon and would like to use it with my OnePlus One and my laptop/desktop. I was considering the Fiio e07k or the Q1, but i heard the Q1 has issues with using an OTG for USB pass-through. I will be using Tidal or Spotify to play music depending on which service works better with OTG. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you for your help :D

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 4
I went ahead and bought the KC06As and tried them out. I am glad to say that I will be keeping them. While they do not sound like the Soundmagic HP150s, they do have a fun sounding signature. They have more treble that gets just a little harsh at times, and I feel like they have more bass impact, but it is in the mid-bass region and less clean than the HP150s. As far as the sound stage goes they are a little behind the HP150s in terms of depths and height, however they are easily the best IEM I have heard in this regard, being just behind a 170 dollar over-ear headphone is not a bad position to be in. I thoroughly enjoyed them, and if you are looking for something that is slightly different, yet more fun, then I can highly recommend the KC06As over the rest of the mentioned IEMs. Especially at their attractive price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back