IEM that compliments J3
Oct 23, 2011 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moouers

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a Cowon J3 (as mentioned in my previous thread), and will be buying new IEMs to take advantage of the sound that the J3 offers. Right now I am using some cheap Sony earphones (not sure of the model...quick search reveals they may be the MDR EX36V model). I let my fiance have my Sennheiser CX300, as she liked them so much...so I adopted her Sony's. Anyway, I'm looking for a major upgrade.

My home setup consists of a Little Dot DAC_1/MKIII combo powering Sennheiser HD-650 headphones...and I absolutely love the sound signature.

I am looking for an IEM that will get me somewhat close to that sound (even if a little EQ is necessary). Mostly, I'd just really like the sound to be well-rounded and most importantly not fatiguing. I'm a bit susceptible to fatigue due to overpowering treble. One thing that is extremely important for me is that the new IEMs should have as little microphonic noise as possible. Every time I put on the Sony 'phones, I want to shoot myself because of the cable noise; and I use them 3 hours every day, 5 days a week. That's a lot of bullets, and bullets are expensive.

Since I need to keep the IEM budget to ~$200 USD, I was highly considering the Westone 2, especially after reading about the wonderful cable and lack of microphonics.

For all you people who know more than I do, would you consider the Westone 2 to be a good choice based on my list of wants? Any other suggestions? One more thing: I'd rather not buy used - I'm weird like that.

Thank you all in advance.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Sony EX600, GR07, Sennheiser IE7, IE8, C5, HF5 and TF10Pro.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Westone IEMs are a good choice, i would prefer the Westone UM2 not the W2. But the TF10 is also a great buy.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Westone IEMs are a good choice, i would prefer the Westone UM2 not the W2. But the TF10 is also a great buy.

Why would you choose the UM2 over the W2? I was thinking of the TF10 as well, but read that they can be somewhat uncomfortable.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 5
yeah TF10 are kinda awkward to put on, but once you get the hang of it, it should be the better one. However if comfort is a main concern, um2 will fit the best in my case, very comfortable and a tight fit. Couldn't get a good fit either with both the W2 or the W3, but Um2 and Um3x were both very comfortable for me.

Quote:
Why would you choose the UM2 over the W2? I was thinking of the TF10 as well, but read that they can be somewhat uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back