IEM Suggestion: Looking for new headphones
Mar 7, 2006 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deagol

New Head-Fier
First of all, I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum. Over the summer, when I was looking for headphones, everyone was a great help. I settled on the hd 595 and have been happy with them ever since, but I can't help but think about the AKG 701.

Anyway, my senior year of high school is ending and I am going on spring break in mexico and am looking for some portable headphones for the flight down.

In the past, I owned the shure e3c, but sold them because I found them uncormfortable. Now I am looking for IEMs that do not need an amp. I also would like something that is comfortable and fairly durable (I am planning an taking these to college and using them for the next several years). I know there are tons of options, er4, e3C, ultimate ears 5, and on and on. For college I would like something less than or around $100 (in case they gget stolen it won't be a huge loss). I am currently looking at the ety er6i, westone um1, and ultimate ears 3. I listen to rock and similar genres. Sound quality is not the highest priority, but is definitly important (I have the senns). Overall, comfortable, durable, and good sounding.

Thanks.

-deagol

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 5
Any suggestions?

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 5
I think the Ety er-6i is pretty durable in spite of looking insubstantial. It sounds great, with tremendous detail. As for comfort - I find that they are very comfortable for extended wear with the foam tips.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 5
What did you find uncomfortable about the E3C's? Would any IEM work for you? What tips did you use?

I have the Etymotics and the E3C's, and the Etys are certainly smaller -- and the cord doesn't loop over the ears, if that's an attraction for you. With the foamies, they're easier for me to put in and take out -- maybe an advantage for you, based on their intended use. But then I find the Shures with the foamies to be comfortable, too.

I haven't seen or tried the Westones, but people are writing good things about them on these forums. But again, there's the comfort issue -- I'm very happy with IEMs, but do you think maybe you need small closed "DJ" headphones instead of IEMs?

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I honestly don't know why the shure e3cs bothered me. I often found that putting them in and getting a decent seal was irritating. I usually used the small or medium grey tips. After I have sold them I have tried other IEMs with triflange tips and liked them much better. I have also tried the foam tips included with the shures, but due to their shape did not like them much.

As for trying dj or other closed headphones, I really have missed the isolation that the shures provide. Also, are the westone um1s comfortable and good for rock?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back