IEM-Specific Attributes
May 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sadbuttrue133

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I feel I am somewhat familiar (in part by reading this forum) with many types of audio equipment out there, with the exception of IEMs. I have never owned any, and I would like to get my feet wet.

1. Are there IEM-specific attributes that I should first get familiar with when analyzing and comparing sound from IEMs? The most obvious answer might be the inner ear fit (different than car audio, home theater audio, and full size headphones that I own). Thus, a set that facilitates several sizes and types of tips allowing more experimentation might be better suited in my opinion as "an intro to IEMs". 

2. Additionally, are there certain models that are more appropriate for a first-IEM-purchase (specific to getting familiar with IEMs and not necessarily for sound analysis in general)?

Intro IEMs considered ($100-$200 USD range) in no particular order:
-VSonic GR07 mkii pro classic
-Rock-it Sounds R-50
-RHA MA750
-Dunu DN-1000
-TDK BA200
-Yamaha EPH-100

3. Lastly, out of pure curiosity, do you have any pros/cons that steer you away or keep you coming back to IEMs?

Thanks in advance!

May 9, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 2

I feel I am somewhat familiar (in part by reading this forum) with many types of audio equipment out there, with the exception of IEMs. I have never owned any, and I would like to get my feet wet.

1. Are there IEM-specific attributes that I should first get familiar with when analyzing and comparing sound from IEMs? The most obvious answer might be the inner ear fit (different than car audio, home theater audio, and full size headphones that I own). Thus, a set that facilitates several sizes and types of tips allowing more experimentation might be better suited in my opinion as "an intro to IEMs". 

2. Additionally, are there certain models that are more appropriate for a first-IEM-purchase (specific to getting familiar with IEMs and not necessarily for sound analysis in general)?

I'd take into account something else - ergonomics. It goes beyond the fit in the ear canals, but includes how the shell sits on your ears, where the cable is routed, how that affects microphonics (also some get around this by using thicker cables, which may not go around ears well especially if you wear glasses), etc. Generally the Shure/Westone-type shell design is the most comfortable and stays in your ears better (ie look at how bands jump and down on stage wearing these, before CIEMs were more affordable) but there are still people who don't like the fit, and not exclusively those who wear glasses (I wear glasses and I can't imagine how it interferes with them for example, but you get to see those threads in here once in a while).

3. Lastly, out of pure curiosity, do you have any pros/cons that steer you away or keep you coming back to IEMs?

Isolation, slips into a case that slips easily into my bag or pockets. Perfect for when I take public transport, or even when I have my car but I have to wait somewhere for something (like a meeting at a coffee shop).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back