IEM sound signature recommendation
Dec 18, 2016 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dawa

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

While I mainly use full sized cans, I do use IEMs on day trips/commutes, etc. For years I've used the Audio-Technica
CKM series - CKM-75 and then CKM-99 (current). I realise discussions of their house sound can become the grounds
for civil war, but let's just pretend it's not controversial for this thread :)  I'm partial to the sound signature of the CKMs
because of the clarity, but not harsh, highs and the (sometimes too much) bass impact. I find them to be good all
around, without being irritably poor at handling anything I've thrown at them.

I'd like ask for a recommendation on an IEM that has a close (it doesn't need to be the same) sound signature. Nothing
overly bright, but decent clarity and some bass impact (I don't need to rattle my skull). In particular I'm interested in 
something with detachable cables that comes in around (or less than) $300. No matter what brand I've used, within
about a year or so I find most IEMs start having cable problems (sound cutting out). At this point I've disassembled and
re-soldered my CKMs about five times. It's getting old. I'd like to invest in a pair that will last a while and I can 
replace the cable if/when it starts to go bad. 

Any advice would be most appreciated. 

Cheers,

John in Japan

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 3
The IM50/70 maybe an option for you? Has the same Audio Technica nice mids house sound but with a decent amount of bass. However I wouldn't say it's clear sounding but I don't really think the CKM series is clear either so maybe it's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back