IEM similar to Senn 580?
Mar 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

branedamag

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX85s to try, knowing this would get more expensive in a hurry. I'm looking to upgrade without breaking the bank. I really like the transparency and (at least perceived) flatness of my 580s. Since auditioning these is virtually impossible, I have done a lot of reading and come up with the RE0s, Lenntek Pro, and Phonak Audeos. Anything else in that range I should consider?

I know I have fitting issues, so I am trying for something on the smaller side. I use the Sonys with Complys, and even then the housings can irritate at times. I use these on planes a lot, so the Comply tips help with isolation, but as a result I also tend to listen too loud (ha!) so that needs to be considered as well.

Thanks for any opinions.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 15
The RE0s are pretty neutral but the housing is fairly large and I could see it becoming uncomfortable with extended listening. You might try Etymotic HF5s which I believe have similar performance but in a slimmer housing allowing for greater insertion and isolation.

Another IEM that I can suggest from personal experience is the SoundMAGIC PL-50s. They are known to be one of the most smallest and most comfortable IEMs around, and have a nicely balanced sound.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the HD580s but the above earphones seem to match the signature you've described fairly well.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 15
@branedamag, so you have 1 million in the bank, just spend a 0.001% of them and I am pretty sure you won't broke
tongue.gif

Just joking...Why not state a budget in your first post? People could recommend things easier.

By the way, I had a HD580, but sold them because don't have a proper amp for them. If my memory serves me right, HD580 has a good amount of bass (nothing close to bloated or boomy), somewhat dry vocal, and a bit sparkly treble.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@branedamag, so you have 1 million in the bank, just spend a 0.001% of them and I am pretty sure you won't broke
tongue.gif

There sem to be several that might work in the 50-75$ range. I could go as high as 100 but I'm not sure the incremental difference is worth it. The RE0s and the PL50s seem to be great bang for the buck.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ If that's the case, you might want to add Hippo VB in your list too. I can't comment those here as I have never tried them.

They seem like more of a basshead type. Right now it's looking like the RE0 or PL50, with the PL50 having an edge in comfort and the RE0 having the edge in sound.

If anyone has experienced both of these, I'd appreciate your comments.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 15
I have used both.. the RE0s have the potential to be much better than the PL-50s in terms of clarity, but they need a good source, both in terms of the device and the files. The PL-50s are definitely super comfortable, but I did not spend enough time with the RE0s to get completely used to them so my initial discomfort with them might have disappeared given further use. Both are very good performance for their price... it just depends what matters to you more. Resolving, startling detail of the RE0s or slightly more laid back and spacious sound of the PL-50s. I think both are great
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 15
Generally, my source is an Ipod with standard AAC files, amped with the XM4. Sometimes I use these on my home system, and occasionally with DVDs while traveling. I'm leaning towards the PL50s based on comfort, but I guess the question is how much quality I'm giving up. I do enjoy the real clarity, warts and all, but not enough to pay a price in ear pain.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 15
Well I have particularly awkward ears, it seems, as I have had trouble with plenty of other earphones that haven't bothered other people. The RE0s are certainly not the most uncomfortable of all earphones that I have used, and I know of plenty of people who find them acceptably comfortable.

I would suggest you begin with getting a pair of RE0s cheap from the FS forum. That way you don't have to hang around while they burn-in, and if you don't like them you can put them right back up for sale without losing much money.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 15
I finally voted for comfort and went for the PL50s. it's a small enough investment that I won't feel bad selling them at a loss or replacing them, or giving them to one of the kids. Thanks to all who helped out. I can see the addictive nature of this. Must self-control.....

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 15
OK, after 120 hours of burn, these are comfortable enough but I HATE the sound. My old Sony MDREX85s are way fuller, smoother, flatter. These sound, to me, like cheap speakers. So I suppose that I should give myself an early birthday present and just buy something more suitable (read:expensive). So, to the original question, what might fit the bill? Monster Copper? Triple Fi? I don't mind abandoning these to the kids, but if I'm going to spend a couple hundred, I'd like to be a little more certain. How can a determination on these things be made short of trial and error?

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 15
Hmm from my knowledge the PL50 are quite flat. I wonder if you ever got the right seal with them(they definetely aren't bass heavy from what I've read though). If you want a fuller and smoother sounds, you probably want something with a warmer sound signature. In that case, the turbines will probably fit the bill. The coppers should do well, but hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 15
I tried several of the ones that came with it with no improvement. I also had the opportunity tonight to try the Monster Coppers. Night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back