IEM set with Mic for iPhone in 40 dollar price range?
May 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

signmeuptoo

New Head-Fier
I just got an iPhone 4S, to replace a 3GS. I have an extremely narrow budget, and actually might have to wait before I can do this. A few years ago, based on the fantastic review threads here, I ordered a pair of Maximo iMetal 590s. The definitely live up to expectations, however, the cans had to be super glued as, even after very gentle and infrequent use, the things came apart when removing from ears. But now I want, at some point, to have some phones for my 4S and future iPhones or Droids, that have a mic and button for control. my Maximo have no mic. I am very unhappy with the 4S's included earbuds, they suck. I listen to these types of music, mostly, though I am pretty eclectic and listen to more than this: Jazz Fusion, Concert Classical, Progressive Rock, Desert Rock, Bluegrass, Cafe Jazz and other Jazzs, some Alternative Rock, other forms of Rock. What I hardly listen to ever: Hip Hop, Metal, Rap, Opera. I don't like repetitive or mindless thumping and slashing. I am a former musician and like musician's musician's music. I like the fact that the button on the iPhone earbuds give me some control. I also will use the IEMs for making phone calls, some of it to overseas where it is hard to hear the person on the other end. I have hearing loss and tinitus in my right ear, but it is livable. I expect to get a hearing test and treatment in the coming months, and might end up with hearing aides, and I know nothing about hearing aides except that some of them have variable gain depending on the frequencies that are needed. My tinitus would probably drive others mad, but I live with it ok enough. I cannot hear the very high frequency ring tones teenagers use, unless they are cranked very very loud. Even so, I can readily tell the difference between good phones and bad phones. I need good, clean mids, bass that has some punch (literally punch, not accentuation), and some crispness and presence in the highs. Years ago I had some Shure E2Cs that I almost hated, they were very disappointing for me. Another issue is that my Maximos won't stay in my ears well. I prefer over the ear designs, and if I could afford to order them regularly, I'd use Complys, but I can't afford to be buying sponges every time they get dirty. Another thing about fit: My left ear canal seems narrower than my right. Also, does anyone know of any supplement that really works for tinitus? Admittedly, I don't want flat response, but more of an EQ curve like software EQs for Rock music are normally shaped, and want impedences good for iPhone and Cowon D2 player (my only PMP). Is this doable with less than 40 bucks? I know you will probably say I need to spend at least 150, but I feed loved ones overseas and am on a pauper's budget. Just one more thing: I hate sibilance. I have an old pair of Icemat Siberia computer headphones and I absolutely hate them, for one thing, the mic is on the cord, not on a boom, and for another the sibilance is so bad it is unbearable for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back