IEM search...
Aug 3, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm quite satisfied with my ER-4P for many types of music, but the more I branch out into metal, the less I become satisfied with them. They work great for ambient music, female vocals and a lot of post-metal, but as I've been broadening my musical horizons, they've only been so-so for dealing with a lot of music I've started listening to.

Also the cable is total bunk, and I'm not sure I can replace it myself so well.

So I'm considering switching IEMs. I have a couple of stipulations for the new pair.

They need to have most of the detail of the ER-4P, but back off on the highs some. With ambient music the ER-4P's emphasis on high frequencies is fine, but with a lot of metal they can become painfully sibilant, even with the Shure black foams.

I'd like more bass response. Not overwhelming, bloated bass, but just a little more clean bass.

They need to be more comfortable, and have an over-the-ear cord or an option for an over-the-ear cord to reduce microphonics.

I know people will probably say Sleek Audio SA6, but they're not comfortable to me.

These will be primarily used unamped right out of my A728. I'm not really going to set a budget, but I can't afford anything outrageous like UE11s.

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Hmm, you tried the SA6 with the Shure olives and they weren't comfortable? I have the AL 716s, the same form factor as the Etys, and with olives on either them or the SA6s, they are comfy.

Except for UM2s, which people say are very comfy, I think any IEM is going to be problematic from a comfort POV, unless you get customs like LiveWires. Also, Sleek is making a custom, so if you like the Sleek sound sig, you can get customs for $299.

I know you say you don't want the Sleeks, but sound-wise, they have just what you seem to be looking for, with the bass+ mod and the treble+ or ++ tube. I find them really comfortable with the shure olives or Shure yellow foamies.

Not much help, I know. But it seems you should try the Sleeks again with the right foamies, and the right size.

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 11
It's not the foams so much, it's the shape of the IEM itself. It doesn't fit well into my ear, and the hard plastic rubs a spot on my right ear wrong. Even my ER-4P do it after a while.

I may have to go for customs, haha. Thinking about LiveWires, but I'd like something I can buy used for money-saving purposes. >.>

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Understand. The new UE SF5s are getting some great early word of mouth. What about them? CHeck out the thread. They are $169, and can use either silicone or Comply foamies. A couple of posters like them as much as the SA6. They sound like real winners, especially for the money. Might be the right canalphone for you. Just an idea.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 11
I am considering those, and the price is certainly attractive!

Edit: I would be okay with any IEMs that have a similar sound signature to Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s (not counting the soundstage, I know that's pretty impossible, haha).

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 11
The super.fi's have a nice amount of bass but a very warm sound, some people consider it a bit too dark/bloated but I'd recommend trying them. If you can afford the step up in price I'd go for the triple.fi's.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 11
How are the triple-fi on comfort?

Does doing the flip-flop mod hurt sound quality? I don't want them sticking out of my ears like clothespins... =p

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 11
I tried the flip-mod but found it made them sound weird, too much bass and odd soundstage. Thats all about preference though I think.

They're perfectly comfortable for me, and when I'm listening to them I totally forget about any worries about them sticking out.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the flip-mod but found it made them sound weird, too much bass and odd soundstage. Thats all about preference though I think.

They're perfectly comfortable for me, and when I'm listening to them I totally forget about any worries about them sticking out.

X2 on flip flop mod. It gave me a 'phase difference' effect in my ear and affected the sound balance. Many people use flip flop with no issues, so I guess something to do with my ear canals. Stock wearing method is perfectly comfortable for me and the Trips sound phenomenally good, I fell in love with all my music all over again
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, when something sounds so good, I don't care how it looks.

Synaesthetic, check them out! They are so worth it, my wallet has stopped hurting!

Wanted to add - you may need to be a bit patient till you get the fit right. Experimentation with different tips will definitely pay off

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 11
I regularly zip between stock & flipped mode with Triples. Never heard this effect that others note. I wonder if cable orientation could have an effect -like out-of-phase speakers.

Flipped scores for me because it makes keeping a seal much easier when moving about etc &, if the stock look bothers, makes them appear much less obtrusive...

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 11
I may be considering the triple.fi, but the price is more than LiveWires!

Though I can resell the TF10, but not a pair of customs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back