IEM:s for my Clip+
Dec 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Aejohansson

New Head-Fier
Last week I purchased a sansa clip+, nice player but the stock earphones sounds awfull.

So now I wan´t to spend 50-150$ on a nice pair of IEMs.

I have been looking around this forum and read some threads about In-ear monitors in the pricerange and found some interesting monitors.

The monitors that I think might fit me is:
Denon AH-C751
Denon AH-C710
Head-direct RE0

I listen mostly to rock and metal, from Pink Floyd to Disturbed and some acoustic rock.

I´m also going to use them in the gym and when I´m out running, so the fit must be good.

What do you think about those alternatives? And are their any more interesting monitors in this pricerange?

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aejohansson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last week I purchased a sansa clip+, nice player but the stock earphones sounds awfull.

So now I wan´t to spend 50-150$ on a nice pair of IEMs.

I have been looking around this forum and read some threads about In-ear monitors in the pricerange and found some interesting monitors.

The monitors that I think might fit me is:
Denon AH-C751
Denon AH-C710
Head-direct RE0

I listen mostly to rock and metal, from Pink Floyd to Disturbed and some acoustic rock.

I´m also going to use them in the gym and when I´m out running, so the fit must be good.

What do you think about those alternatives? And are their any more interesting monitors in this pricerange?

I'd suggest getting a separate set of headphones for your gym use. Mainly one's that go behind the neck style. I've used every type from ear clipped ones to earbuds for the gym and the back of the head ones stay on compared to the other two.

Plus buying a pair of headphones over $100 bucks you don't want to:

A: Sweat in it.
B. Accidentally rip it out of your ears and step on it... not that that's happened to me before, lol

I have a pair of UE TF10s and they're great for sit down listening but not very useful for jogging.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 25
i've never had any problems with iem's falling off. just go over the ear - it'll eliminate some of the microphonics, plus it'll stay in fine. the re0 typically don't have much bass, but the denon's are quite good in that sense. in my experience, i don't like the fit of the denon's (i have smallish ears, and they just don't tend to feel comfortable for me) i loved using my nuforce ne-7m for gym use (you can get the ne-6 for bout $40, which is the same as ne-7m without mic). i'd recommend you taking a look at the nuforce ne-6.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 25
If you want to save some money, get a set of JVC Marshmallows, a set of Koss KSC75's, and do the Kramer mod to both of them. Unless you want to go all out right away, it would be a good step up for about $30-$35 or so (and you'd have 2 sets of headphones and could use one exclusively for the gym). Then you could save up for better IEMs and still get accustomed to better quality sound than what you're probably used to.

About the KSC75's, my modded ones sound about 85-90% as good as my defoamed RE0's (IMO, of course). The KSC75's don't have as much detail and the mids are pushed back a little more than I like, but it's an amazing deal for $15 and a little elbow grease. Unmodded ones sound pretty good too.

As for the ones off your list, I've only heard the RE0's, but they sound really good. Pink Floyd (I listen to almost all their stuff with the exception of the post-Waters material) sounds really good with them.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest getting a separate set of headphones for your gym use. Mainly one's that go behind the neck style. I've used every type from ear clipped ones to earbuds for the gym and the back of the head ones stay on compared to the other two.

Plus buying a pair of headphones over $100 bucks you don't want to:

A: Sweat in it.
B. Accidentally rip it out of your ears and step on it... not that that's happened to me before, lol

I have a pair of UE TF10s and they're great for sit down listening but not very useful for jogging.

X2. I'd die if my $150 IEM would be broken, because of sweat or the cord getting caught on something.

My recommendation would be the Phonak Audeo PFE. I've used them once while jogging and they're pretty nice. Very comfortable, little to none microphonics and a quite balanced sound signature (depending on which filter is used). Search in the PFE-thread for more info about the PFE.

Also, I'd also consider the RE0. I haven't heard those, but if I were you, I'd definitely consider them.

(For running, get something cheap, but decent. I use the stock earbuds, but you could get something from SoundMagic? I'm not really sure, just get something you don't worry about while exercising
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 25
I´m going to use them mostly on my daily 20 minute walk to the University in diffrent weather and temprature (from +25C to -30C) and when I´m traveling by bus. I´m aware that my way of using them are going to shorten the IEM:s lifetime by far.

And I´m not going to use them every day when I excercise but when I´m going to, I want them to work well.

I´m just asking wich pair of IEM:s in the pricerange would give me the most bang for the buck - wich pair would sound and work best with my preferences.

And I´m deeply sorry about my lousy English, but I hope you will understand what I´m trying to say
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 25
I did not like the REO's w/Clip+. Too much impedance for the amp and imo the sound was thin. REO sounds much better with Cowon D2+. I'm still searching but I'm using Klipsch S4 for now. With EQ it can sound really full w/Clip+.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 25
The Etymotic HF5 sounds absolutely wonderful with the Clip IMO. They offer just about the best isolation available, weigh next to nothing, and they'll stay in your ears. Going for only $108 shipped at Amazon right now.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 25
I use ie8s for my clip+ and zune hd.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've never had any problems with iem's falling off. just go over the ear - it'll eliminate some of the microphonics, plus it'll stay in fine. the re0 typically don't have much bass, but the denon's are quite good in that sense. in my experience, i don't like the fit of the denon's (i have smallish ears, and they just don't tend to feel comfortable for me) i loved using my nuforce ne-7m for gym use (you can get the ne-6 for bout $40, which is the same as ne-7m without mic). i'd recommend you taking a look at the nuforce ne-6.

I agree, I use the ne-7m as well for gym use and love them, especially with foam tips. I use a clip+ at the gym.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 25
Give the JVC Marshmallows a shot. They really do sound good for cheap phones. I don't think anything in-ear can touch them for $15. And they are very robust. I've used mine every day for 1.5 years and they are the same as new.

I store them by simply wrapping them around the clip and shoving the bundle in a pocket. They are tough enough that this doesn't endanger them. I wouldn't do that w/ REOs or S4s. Plus you just jam them in your ear and you're good. When the foam tips warm up give them another shove and they seal up well. Every once in a while give them a push and you are in your own private audio world. Other canalphones are more finicky to get and maintain a seal. I didn't do the Kramer mod. I'm happy w/ the way they sound as is--bright enough for me.

PS mine are the hfx-33s. The 34s are a little different w/ a non-carcinogenic cord and a bit shorter and softer tips so YMMV. I think the 34s and 33s sound almost identical. The 34 might be a bit more bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back