IEM Review in HTHF mag/site
Mar 22, 2007 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Snaques

100+ Head-Fier
Found a very interesting IEM review thru a finnish hifi forum DVD-plaza. It's an IEM review from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity magazine:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html

The results are pretty interesting. Denon AH-C700 is the winner & UE EB is better than 5 Pro & E500 has detail as do all the phones, etc.
eek.gif

It really wasn't the result I was expecting. I'd like to hear your take on things. Is UE EB really better than Pro
wink.gif

EDIT: Maybe the most interesting part of the review are the frequency graphs. Especially UE EB did very well in that department as did E500.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 9
My guess that if it is related to home theater, they like bass. In fact they love bass and crave huge impact. The EB is going to do that.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess that if it is related to home theater, they like bass. In fact they love bass and crave huge impact. The EB is going to do that.

He also said this: "At this point I want to say that none of the ear phones gave me the bass that I really wanted, either because they don't have a good bass frequency response, or they just didn't fit with a good seal in my ears. This is a problem that the manufacturers should be working on."

Which suggests to me that he didn't spend much time using the different tips to get a good seal.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 9
i know i'm harsh on reviews in general, but that was crap review. i know the internet is full of opinions, and ppl tend to put bunch of opinions together and pass it off as a review, but leave reviews to people who can review, cuz the rest aren't helping people make the right purchases.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He also said this: "At this point I want to say that none of the ear phones gave me the bass that I really wanted, either because they don't have a good bass frequency response, or they just didn't fit with a good seal in my ears. This is a problem that the manufacturers should be working on."

Which suggests to me that he didn't spend much time using the different tips to get a good seal.

Exactly. Or they just did not give it time or have realistic expectations. Bottom line, the bassiest IEM's or headphones will never FEEL like a high end home theater sub.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 9
What I would like to know more about is how accurate those measurements are. They used a straight silicone tube that approximated ear canal in length, but not in shape. Does the shape of earcanal affect the frequency response or is it just the outer ear that matters?

It is interesting that those frequency response curves looked so similar, excluding highs. Especially bass response was almost a straight line with all of them. Even super.fi 5 EB had no hump in bass response that I expected from the writings in this board.

I would like to know more about how to take measurements with IEMs since I have a measurement microphone and software, and I could take these measurements myself, even if for nothing else than curiosity's sake.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, something is way off here. Someone is wrong - here is headroom's graph of the 2 UE and the e500.

graphCompare.php

The above review has them nearly as flast as glass.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of getting a good seal, I am a bass head (classical and jazz) and I found that with my shure e5c IEMs the triple flanges gave the best bass response but I also noticed that the fit improved greatly after a week or so of wearing the flanges and breaking them in. When I put a set of new flanges on simply turning my head or smiling can break the seal. I mark my flanges with an indelible pen so that if they come off or I remove them to clean them I can put them back on with the proper orientation so the fit lines up.

I recently damaged my E5cs recently and ordered some E500s to replace them. In the mean time I've been listening through some crappy $20 sony ear buds (ughh, what muddy, boomy bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back