IEM replacement for under $50
Sep 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

OdusBK

New Head-Fier
I recently lost my sony mdr-as50g, believe it or not i had them for almost 8 years and i loved them they were great for running and they were comfortable but now i need to replace them.
I need something thatll last me at least a year, i want something that i wont have to worry about breaking or losing because these are going to be my school set. (i used the sony for running, these dont HAVE to be good for activity but if they are itll be a great plus)
Right now im using the samsung headphones that came with my note 2 and i guess theyre alright, a little weak on the base considering i mostly listen to hard rock, rap/hip hop and occasionally house music. Sound isolation doesn't have to be excellent but it should be at least what i got with the samsung. I also prefer wearing them straight down as opposed to behind the ear 

Right now it's mostly about which of these do should i get the Klipsch s4ii or the Vsonic gr02... im open for any other suggestions
Thanks 

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Honestly if your only going to spend $50 i would just keep the Samsung supplied earphones. I Have the ones that came with my Samsung galaxy s3 and s4 and they sound decent enough. Honestly i would go to $100 and get the Shure se215 if your not hard set on only straight down earphones. If not ummm if you want to go with bluetooth the Jaybird Freedom is around $76 on amazon and The Freedom Sprint is $99 on amazon ( I own the Jaybird bluebud x which are around $144 on amazon and i would expect the lower priced versions to sound decent compared to the bluebud x).

If you really want to stick under $50 the V-moda Bass Freq on amazon goes for around $23 from amazon without a remote and around $30 for a 1 button remote. if you want to go to the rapper branded earphones the Soul SL99 is around $35 ( MSRP is $99.99) and for that price they selling for should sound great

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Then I would probably go with the soul sl99.. I am not a huge fan of rapper branded headphones but I took the soul sl150 for a whirl because they were 63 when I bought them on amazon and they actually sounded good (a lot better then other races per branded headphones) and was worth the 63. I haven't tried the sl99 but for 35 dollars I would give them a shot.

If not I do like the Sony ones for $40 (don't remember name but they were black with Apple controls) which sounded good for $40

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 9
If you want a pair of earphones that are decent with really good bass that are affordable, I highly recommend the UE 350. I have tried various earphone models such as Monster, Beats, Shure and a-Jays but it was costly and the sound quality at that price level did not satisfy me. One day I happen to discover the UE 350vi (vi is for iPod and iPhone models) while I was in a Logitech store and decided to give it a try. When I plugged them on my ears and tested them with Foo Fighter's One of These Days. As the music started rolling I could feel the bass punching in my ears and that moment I knew I had to get these. The bass on the UE 350's is punchy but not bloated and it doesn't sound too dark. The sound quality is almost as good as the Shure SE215 in my opinion and it is cheaper. The price tag is below $40 but if you would like the mic and control buttons, it is a few dollars more. Here is the link for the earphones in Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2W8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380422989&sr=8-4&keywords=ue+350vi 
P.S. From my experience, it is always better to try out the earphones yourself before making a decision.

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 9
  If you want a pair of earphones that are decent with really good bass that are affordable, I highly recommend the UE 350. I have tried various earphone models such as Monster, Beats, Shure and a-Jays but it was costly and the sound quality at that price level did not satisfy me. One day I happen to discover the UE 350vi (vi is for iPod and iPhone models) while I was in a Logitech store and decided to give it a try. When I plugged them on my ears and tested them with Foo Fighter's One of These Days. As the music started rolling I could feel the bass punching in my ears and that moment I knew I had to get these. The bass on the UE 350's is punchy but not bloated and it doesn't sound too dark. The sound quality is almost as good as the Shure SE215 in my opinion and it is cheaper. The price tag is below $40 but if you would like the mic and control buttons, it is a few dollars more. Here is the link for the earphones in Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2W8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380422989&sr=8-4&keywords=ue+350vi
P.S. From my experience, it is always better to try out the earphones yourself before making a decision.

Eh I have the UE 350 and I don't like the sound of them... They are ok but nothing to write home about. I  just don't personally like the headphones under $100 but the only decent ones are the Sony ones like Sony DREX61IP Premium EX Monitor Earbuds

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DREX61IP-Premium-Monitor-Earbuds/dp/B005M7AVLO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380430879&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+earbuds

I think those were the ones I had which I liked enough for around $40 when I bought them

Also if you like Bass the Sony MDR-EX210B/BLU  supposed to be good

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX210B-BLU-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PBY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1380430879&sr=8-6&keywords=sony+earbuds

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 9

Eh I have the UE 350 and I don't like the sound of them... They are ok but nothing to write home about. I  just don't personally like the headphones under $100 but the only decent ones are the Sony ones like Sony DREX61IP Premium EX Monitor Earbuds

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DREX61IP-Premium-Monitor-Earbuds/dp/B005M7AVLO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380430879&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+earbuds

I think those were the ones I had which I liked enough for around $40 when I bought them

Also if you like Bass the Sony MDR-EX210B/BLU  supposed to be good

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX210B-BLU-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PBY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1380430879&sr=8-6&keywords=sony+earbuds

Well it depends on the person's preferences. Yes you may not like earphones below the $100 price range but not everyone is able to afford or ready to upgrade. I like the sound of the UE 350vi and they still sound good to me. I've had the UE350 for almost two years now and at that price level I think the UE350 is a good bargain. Currently I am using the UE Triple Fi and I've stopped using the UE 350vi but I cycle through my pair of earphones from time to time.

The sound quality of earphones above the $100 price tag is awesome but not everyone will like the sound quality the earphones has to offer at that price level. A friend of mine prefers the UE 350vi better than my UE Triple Fi and the price difference is big.

Good recommendations for the Sony earphones. I've read good reviews about them and tried them before. However, I still prefer the UE 350vi for overall sound and build quality. In the end, it's safer and better if you give the earphones a try before making a decision because no matter how known a brand may be or someone recommending a pair of earphones, it's your ears and personal preference that will make the decision for you =)

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 9
I love v moda build quality and getting a pair or v moda crossfade lp soon. I had a old pair of v moda ear buds and liked them from what I remember and they look like those so I would say yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back