IEM Recommendations under 140€ (~$150)
Dec 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

neutral

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've got a pair of Shure's SE215 that started to make what seems to sound like static (in certain positions). From what I gathered online this was a common problem and most people tried cleaning and centering the pin on the connectors. Cleaning them worked the first time but the static came back a while after that and when I tried to center the connector pin on the second monitor (the first worked great) it broke with the slightest of applied pressure (I believe it may have been already broken). As it is long out of warranty and even though I already contacted Shure to get an estimate for the repair cost I'd like to evaluate other possibilities in the meantime.

So I'm starting to look for new IEMs around 100€ (but I can go up to around 140€ if it is really worth it) and would like your help for suggestions. I've owned a long list of budget headphones in the past and started to use IEMs with a pair or MEElectronics M6 a few years ago. When I started to look for another pair I bought those Shure's I talked about (SE215). I like those a lot for their build quality (great cable) and sound signature. Furthermore my experience with them has been great with the exception of the connectors which was the only thing that caused a bit of trouble (but still managed to last almost 4 years without major problems).

My preferred sound signature is Warm since I like enhanced bass without loss of detail on the rest of the spectrum. However my experience is very limited since the few headphones I tried are a bit on the bassy side (I liked the sound of the Sennheiser CX300 I experimented a lot of time ago - before my own IEMs - as well as the ones I've owned) so I may like other sound signatures without knowing it (but I do like great bass sounds in music).

As you may have noticed from my previous purchases I like the over-the-ear type of IEM but this I'm not hard limiting this. I also like clear cables and headphones but aesthetics, although very appreciated, are not decisive.

I'm going to use them primarily in my computer and mobile without DACs (at least for now since I've not seen a need for them yet) and a cable with remote is appreciated but again not decisive.

The type of music I traditionally listen to is very broad but tends to go around psychedelic rock, indie, pop/synth pop/a bit of electronic (no EDM though), progressive metal, folk.

I live in Portugal if that helps narrowing something in price (anything shipping in Europe should be great).

My greatest problem so far has been the fact that, from the reviews I've seen, for my preferred sound signature, the SE215 seem to be the most recommended.

I've also been eyeing the M6 PRO from Meelec which seem great and under my budget (a lot) with great accessories and two cables but I've not seen any reviews of them so far. I don't know if this helps.

As you may already noticed I've tried to give you guidelines but not restrict the choices too much since I'm open to study other IEMs that may not fit here.

TL;DR: IEMs around 100€ (can go up to 140€ if it's really worth it) for a warm sound signature to use in the computer/mobile without DAC. I like the SE215 a lot.

Thank you in advance,

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 4
See if you can find the Audio Technica ATH-IM70.

It's a very smooth, neutral-warm sig, with lovely, enveloping bass, and wholly non-fatiguing highs.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 4
If you wanted flat signature with a little warmth, right now the best in 100$  range is 1more triple driver which has a 4.9 rating in amazon.
they're great but their Isolation and no-over-the-ear style is a set back I usually use an amp to boost the bass and they respond well to equalizing but some people think they're bassy without the boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back