IEM recommendations needed for 2nd gen Shuffle
Feb 18, 2007 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Just picked up a 2nd gen Shuffle today (in orange-- funky cool!) and wanted to get some decent IEM's for it. I'm using Senn MX400 earbuds right now and it still sounds good, but I want something clearer, cleaner, more hi-fi sounding, but w/ good body and bass to it. I'd like to keep it under $175.

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Ety ER4P - $165
Ety ER6 - $75
UE super.fi 5EB - $150
Westone UM1 - $110

This will be for a real mix of music - rock, metal, soul, hip-hop, pop, jazz, electronica, and spoken word stuff.

What would be best for my requirements (clear, clean sounding, good bass, not "thin" through the mids, under $175 new)? Here are ones I've ruled out:

Shure E2
Shure E3

Other ones I've ruled out simply because of price, as I'm not willing to put more than $175 towards a pair.

Are there any other good ones I've missed?

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 15
I researched them all, decided the ER4P was my best option. They still amaze.

I also have the E4 which have slightly better bass & mids but they lack detail compared to the ety. If bass is most important then the ety may not be best, I think the UE would please although I've only read about them, never listened to them.

I use a Supermini with my ER4P and the bass boost makes them perfect.

Orange huh?
cool.gif
I was looking at shuffles today seeing all the colors and thought orange would be cool, and then thought-why do I even need one, I don't but that's not the point
icon10.gif

ipod-shuffle-2g-orange4.jpg

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 15
Nice! Looks like someone else likes the orange too. I think I may end up getting the ER4P and the ER6, since they're both priced so great now.

Since I'll have a Hornet that I can use with them (when using the line out on my pcdp or ipod mini), I can use the ER6's amped, which I've heard improves their sound. Plus, I can use them unamped w/ the Shuffle (read a thread where the ER6 synergizes quite well w/ the Shuffle).

I can also use the ER4P's with the Shuffle, or if I want to amp them I can do that too (with or without the 4P --> 4S cable if I decide to get it down the road.

It would be $240 for both the ER4P's and the ER6's, and free shipping.

Should I go for it, like I did w/ the Shuffle and the Hornet?

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 15
The ER-4P is a much better IEM than the UM-1 in my opinion. They're not even in the same class. I'd go with the Etys. If I were i your position though I'd just get the 4P and forget the 6i. I'd probably never use them after listening to their bigger and better cousins.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER-4P is a much better IEM than the UM-1 in my opinion. They're not even in the same class. I'd go with the Etys. If I were i your position though I'd just get the 4P and forget the 6i. I'd probably never use them after listening to their bigger and better cousins.

Actually it was the ER6, not 6i that I was considering, as they would respond to amping better than the 6i from what I've read. The ER6 would come in handy for bedside listening, since I might impale my eardrums w/ the ER4P's if I fell asleep w/ them in!

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Ety ER4P - $165
Ety ER6 - $75
UE super.fi 5EB - $150
Westone UM1 - $110

Out of the models you listed above I own the 5EB and just got my ER-4P and I would say definitely go with the Etys! The 5EB has plenty of bass, but I found it TOO bass heavy and a little thick sounding in the midrange. Instruments just sound kind of smushed together and a little too muddy. The Etys just sound right. They sound open, allow more air around the instruments. If you are looking for a pair of IEMs that will slap you upside the head with bass, then you'll probably love the 5EBs, but if you want quality bass and can sacrifice a bit of quantity while retaining the mids and highs, then you need to hear the Etys. I think once you hear them, you won't be disappointed.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 15
ive not heard the 4p, but the 4s is the most amazing iem i've had a chance to listen to purely on a sound quality comparo. comfort....well.... it is fast, detailed but not too much and isolates like mad. as for the 4p, you will need an amp as they will hiss. but the hornet is not a bit too big for the shuffle? i have the micro and find it still too big yet much more pleasing. cheers.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive not heard the 4p, but the 4s is the most amazing iem i've had a chance to listen to purely on a sound quality comparo. comfort....well.... it is fast, detailed but not too much and isolates like mad. as for the 4p, you will need an amp as they will hiss. but the hornet is not a bit too big for the shuffle? i have the micro and find it still too big yet much more pleasing. cheers.

If I use the 4P with the Hornet, it will be with a pcdp, home cd player or ipod mini, but not with the Shuffle.

Did you mean that I wouldn't need an amp w/ the Hornet? I'd just use the low gain setting, and will most likely end up sucking it up and buying that ridiculously expensive 4P --> 4S cable to get the best sound out of the 4P's when amped. Otherwise, I'll just use my AKG's w/ the amp, and use the 4P's w/ the Shuffle.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 15
I came this ( I<----->I ) close to buying that orange shuffle today at Circuit City...I was thinking I wish Apple made a deep purple colored one. Instead I bought a white PX-100 to use on my job...I'm hoping the mids blossom a bit, also the highs are sort of muted...we'll see.

Are you guys talking about amping the shuffle?
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 15
Nah, no need to ruin the idea of ultraportability w/ the shuffle by trying to amp it. Besides, it doesn't have a true line out.

I couldn't decide between the ER4P or the ER6, so I bought both from amazon.com this afternoon.
smily_headphones1.gif

I opted for next day shipping so I should have it by Wednesday (the ER4's wouldn't ship 'til 2/20, and I decided to have them ship in the same package).

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why arent 5pros listed?

Because they're $179-249. But heck, I spent $240 on two pairs of Etys, but at least it's 2 pairs of headphones, right? Besides, I've really wanted to try the ER4 series out for a couple years, and had the ER6's waaaay back when they first came out.

Good thing is, I can always return the Ety's to amazon if I don't like them, but since I'm going for a more detailed, neutral sound lately, I think the Ety's will work out great. I wanted something truly "hifi" this time, and Ety's are the epitome of hi-fi, right?

I can use the ER6's with the Shuffle or amped w/ the Hornet and a pcdp. And I can use the ER4P's unamped w/ any of my equipment, or amped w/ the low gain setting on the Hornet (or w/ the 4S cable if I get it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back