IEM recommendations - lost mine, AGAIN!
Mar 18, 2008 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

OldHooky

100+ Head-Fier
Need some more IEMs to replace the replacements which I lost when disembarking an overnight flight. Now there's reason enough not to do that again!

I only use IEMs for planes, trains and the Tube, so they don't have to be so high-end. Listen to all sorts, from Choral to Dance.

Excellent isolation and good sound essential.

Budget: sub-£150.

Cheers

OldHooky

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 11
That's a hefty budget if they don't have to sound very good. Can't 150 quid score you some, dare I say it, Livewires?

Also, I recommend keeping them on your body instead of stuffing them away. I let mine rest on my chest whenever I can.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 11
You could consider the ER4 too based on the isolation, and use the shirt clip.
That may be a small layer of defense against losing them.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 11
SF5 Pro or Livewires is what I would go for. Be more careful with your IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could consider the ER4 too based on the isolation, and use the shirt clip.
That may be a small layer of defense against losing them.

Yes, very high isolation. up to 40 dB with foam tips. Not to mention king of sound quality.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 11
I think the superfi or the UM2 sound better than the Ety 4. More bass.

Don't know about the livewires

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Factoring in your past history, perhaps multiple pairs of inexpensive earphones would be appropriate ... a bulk purchase of Creative EP630s or Marshmallows, for example.

OK, OK, maybe I'm being critical -- I know I would be furious with myself if that happened ... when it does, I'll probably have to sedated for my own protection.

More realistically -- I don't know U.K. pricing, but strictly for excellent isolators that happen to have very clear, detailed sound (lean bass, however), the Etymotics ER6i's are a very good value. And maybe the Future Sonics Atrio M5/M8 would deter thieves, with their somewhat ungainly looks (but they sound sweet, with lots of full, natural bass).

I have the Etys and really like them for isolation on airplanes. But the more I listen to my Future Sonics, the more I enjoy listening to them in a variety of environments ... I wear them "down," and while much larger than the miniscule Etys, they are very light and comfortable with foam sleeves. Both help improve my mood a lot when on various forms of transport.

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Any more recommendations before I pull the trigger on a new pair. Ideally something that's also available here in the UK to save the hassle on any warranty repairs etc.

Cheers

OldHooky

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 11
er......Shure 530s?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back