IEM Recommendations for K-R&B, K-hip-hop, and K-pop
Apr 17, 2015 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AmbiguousRule

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using a pair of Shure SE215s and I'm looking to upgrade in the next year or so. My budget is around $200-$250, maybe $300 tops. I'm okay with how the Shures sound right now, but I'm unsure if the sound signature is something I like, as there are some things I have noticed in some songs (no EQ changes). Bear with me, as I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is considered normal.

Most of what I listen are R&B, hip-hop, the occasional pop song, and ballads. I'm not into the cutesy/bubblegum pop that K-pop is so famous for. With that in mind, what kind of sound signature would fit most (e.g. v-shape, balanced, warm, etc)? Durability is also a factor (for example, detachable cables) as I'm going to be out and about in university.

In YGGR, the sound of the piano is quite overwhelming during the rap.  

In GNAAL, the instrumental also overwhelms the vocals during the first verse.

This one is fine.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 4
This list of reviews might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-336-iems-compared-gorilla-ears-gx-4b-added-04-17-15-p-1053
:)

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Only a few of them in the $200 range have detachable cables, and I already knew of them. The SE215s are natural sounding, correct? So how big is the difference between a natural sounding IEM compared to a neutral IEM (e.g. Westone W20/30)?

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 4
So I've EQ'd the 8khz and 16khz frequencies up 6 dB, and the vocals seem to balance out the drums and such. Is there any IEM that can match a similar sound (detachable cable is a must)?

Also, a question for audiophiles, if the instrumental, let's say drums, overpower the vocals, would it be correct to say the mids muffle the highs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back