IEM recommendations for Jogging?
Mar 30, 2006 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

rugby10

Head-Fier
Being this is my first post, i'll make it short. I have been researching IEM's for a bit and have narrowed it down to the Etymotic's 6i's or the Shure e3c/e4c(depending on the cost I can find then for). However, many reviews claim that the ety's carry the noise from the cord rubbing on clothing, as well as the footsteps hitting the pavement. Is this an accurate representation of the ety's, or all IEM's in general. Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 38
My experience is only with Shure E3Cs. They only work well if you get a good seal, and for me, that means foamies. The isolation is pretty significant. I would never jog in them for fear of getting hit by a car, rouge cyclist, etc. Also, I would think sweat would be bad for them.

I have used them on a treadmill and apart from the icky sweat issue, I did not have problems with noise transference. I do use an apple remote which has a clip, and use ties to manage the cables.

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 38
I have both the ER-6i and the E4 and I wouldn't jog with either of those--or probably any other IEM for that matter. There's just too much isolation that I don't feel that safe. But if you're jogging on trails or something I guess that's a different story. Microphincs is an issue with both the Ety's and Shure's, but definitely more so with the Ety's. If you want to stick something in your ears I would suggest something not so isolating like the Senn CX300 or Sony EX series--not IEMs, but IMO safer for jogging and walking about town.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 38
If you like not being hit by cars, I don't suggest these. I can see it now:

--Jogging along--
"... and I'm as free as a bird now, and this bird you cannot..."
--Loud car horn in background--
"...change, Lord knows, I can't CHAYEAYENA..."

I think you know the rest.
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

~ Brett

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 38
The safety thing isn't so much of an issue where I run, and financially, I'm looking for a do-it-all, good all around set of phones for the gym, running, yardwork, travel etc.. getting the wife to go along with a $100+ set of earphones is going to be dangerous enough
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 38
E2C works perfectly fine for jogging for me. I find something to wrap it around (belt if im wearing pants, but thats only when im jogging with the dog), so that it doesnt flap around. Microphonics are reduced, and everything is happy. Im pretty sure that my foamies are a size too small, so they isolate, but still let some noise in (i dont get run over by cars etc.) Works for me, YMMV
-g

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 38
The UM1's will run you $109, do a search here on Head-Fi and you will see a lot of praise. I have never tried IEM's so I cannot personally recommend them, but I am soon going to get IEM's and I'll probaly buy the UM1's. If you want to spend more money ($250ish range) then I would suggest the; Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5, Shure E4C, and Etymotic ER-4. Good Luck!

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 38
I'd say take a step back and get a cheaper canalphone. Something like EP-630 doesn't isolate too much to be a problem, you can hear if something is really up but otherwise it's bliss. And you don't need perfect sound quality on the road anyway. Microphonics are an issue with pretty much anything I can think of you would use, though.

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 38
walking is bad enough with IEMs...you never had any idea how loud even your most graceful steps could be until you tried to do so while wearing iems....i'd go for some cheapo earclip phones for jogging becuase you're not going to get the benefit of an iem while running IMO

They're fine for other exercise however...just anything that doesn't involve your bones conducting THUMP THUMP THUMP into your head :p

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 38
i cant use iems for jogging, your spine makes squishy noises, and the bass gets impacted with every step. i use ksc 75s when jogging, i can get carried away with the music much better too. plus i can hear traffic.

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
i cant use iems for jogging, your spine makes squishy noises, and the bass gets impacted with every step. i use ksc 75s when jogging, i can get carried away with the music much better too. plus i can hear traffic.

im considering getting myself a pair of those for jogging and general purpose open walkaround headphones, so i have 2 specific questions for you: are they secure on your head when jogging, and do they smell of sweat the morning after a good workout?

i very much enjoyed the KSC 55's while they were in one piece
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrbelex
If you like not being hit by cars, I don't suggest these.

Would also have to agree myself. I think biking or walking with IEM's is about one of the stupidest things you can do. Actually... biking with headphones in general on the street is ridiculous.

(No, don't start another flame war about the whole biking issue)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back