IEM Recommendations for an avid underground hip hop listener.
Sep 20, 2008 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

T3CHN1QUE

New Head-Fier
Sup everyone. I'm looking for some new IEMs to pair with my Microsoft Zune 80GB. I listen mainly to underground Hip Hop, Jazz, Soul/Neo-Soul, R&B, Reggae, and some Alternative Rock. My budget is probably around 200-250 dollars. Definitely want some IEMs with tight bass and that sound better than the premium headphones that come with the Zune.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 13
good luck. i thought the 5eb's sucked. actually they're the only earphones i gave away...(to a needy friend). far too heavy, far too uncomfortable and the midrange sucked! unfortunately i can't recommend and alternative.

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 13
Atrio M5s were my favorite headphones for hip hop. I haven't heard the Super fi. 5 EBs though. Both would probably get the job done fine.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 13
This is basically the stuff I listen to as well, but I'm not much of a basshead. Good tight bass is good enough for me and I really enjoy my SA6 with them with the bass port mod. Also have the Image and it's a good fit too, but I definitely prefer the SA6.

Never really tested any UE offering because they are all too uncomfortable for me.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 13
You can't beat the Denon C751 or C700 for value and performance. Its available for about $100 from Amzn and its sq is comparable to other phones mentioned especially bass wise.

Portable Setup: Zen Sleek -- Cardas Mini -- Go-Vibe Petite -- Denon C751
Home Setup: Dell XPS -- MHDT Labs Paradisea+ DAC --Darkvoice THA332 Amp -- ATH W5000/Senn HD595

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 13
Well, it's as good a starting point as any i guess.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 13
wow he asked a question and then went off and bought crap anyway before anyone could save him LOL
biggrin.gif
5EB ugliest, most uncomfortable and crap sounding IEM ever IMO certainly amongst UE's line

good luck with that T3CHN1QUE; maybe it will suit you I dont know but cetainly not 4 me.

maybe they are good for underground usage I certainly wouldn't wear them in public
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 13
He can always return them or upgrade later if they don't work out.

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 13
I basically bought these as a starting point into higher grade IEMs. They are a bit bulky but they get the job done. They not the prettiest looking IEMs either, but oh well, guess you gotta start somewhere. The bass is nice for hip hop though. I was listening to the Roots and the track, Push up ya Lighter, sounded real nice. Bass was definitely hittin'. Overall I feel they're a good starting point, and for the music I listen to, they do a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back